Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't cath and losing it

Personally I can't use the hard plastic ones, they are not flexible enough to make all the turns. They get hung up and end up tearing my urethra and Iend up with lots of bleeding.

Everyone has different issues. It's important to try different products to see what works for you.
    ZCKF

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    So we are just going to take it out and I am going to go back to cathing and only going to have to go back to Uro or ER if it happens again. They expect me to be ok since the foley that was put on me at ER went in pretty easily.

I am going to to get a few of the harder and diff tipped ones to try as well.
    I found using a lot of lubricant - about 15 grams (three packets) worth was helpful.

I often have trouble these days but have found that changing positions works every time.
    Most of the time the trouble comes when I'm sitting in the chair.
    When at home I transfer to my mat table and when laying or reclined on my side it always goes in easily.
    In my adjustable bed I've found that raising both feet and head will create a position where a cath will slip right in.
    It's surprising how subtle of a positionchange it takes.
    Sometimes all it takes is to pull up on my quad gut.
    Other times whilst in bed it helps to roll over to one side or the other.

Hydrophilic coated caths are slicker than lubed ones and that helps.

When all else fails, a drop or two of soap added to the water in the hydrophlic cath package really slickens things up and helps a lot.

I've also had success bending the tip of the cath (while it's in the package) to emulate a coude tip. I save this technique for situations when I just can't transfer out of the chair to change positions.

It was tough not to panic when this first started happening and I ended up in the ER once too, because of it.

Good luck
    Jeff
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I often have trouble these days but have found that changing positions works every time.
    Most of the time the trouble comes when I'm sitting in the chair.
    When at home I transfer to my mat table and when laying or reclined on my side it always goes in easily.
    In my adjustable bed I've found that raising both feet and head will create a position where a cath will slip right in.
    It's surprising how subtle of a positionchange it takes.
    Sometimes all it takes is to pull up on my quad gut.
    Other times whilst in bed it helps to roll over to one side or the other.

Hydrophilic coated caths are slicker than lubed ones and that helps.

When all else fails, a drop or two of soap added to the water in the hydrophlic cath package really slickens things up and helps a lot.

I've also had success bending the tip of the cath (while it's in the package) to emulate a coude tip. I save this technique for situations when I just can't transfer out of the chair to change positions.

It was tough not to panic when this first started happening and I ended up in the ER once too, because of it.

Good luck
    Jeff
    Whether using a pre-made coude or olive tip catheter or one that you fashion yourself, just make sure that the tip is oriented correctly. Pre-made coude and olive tip catheters have either an orientation line the length of the catheter or a bump on the funnel of the catheter that needs to always stay on top as the catheter is being inserted. Improper insertion of the coude or olive tip catheters can cause urethral damage.

All the best,
    GJ

Go with the Silicone, Surgelube. To relax the muscles, inhale and exhale seems to work for me.