Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Hamilton, para/founder of Quickie, but never married

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Most women only marry for financial security, societal pressures or religious reasons. I admired her more when you said she'd not been married :/ Takes a strong, driven woman not to cave to societal pressures.
    I disagree, think that people might have all kinds of reasons for wanting to formalize their commitment. I probably would keep my last name, but it wouldn't mind having the choice of a nicer one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Most women only marry for financial security, societal pressures or religious reasons. I admired her more when you said she'd not been married :/ Takes a strong, driven woman not to cave to societal pressures.
    I agree.

If a woman is not married, it does not mean she does not have great love in her life. Chances are she is choosing to be single (single as in legally unjoined to another person in matrimony or partnership). She may be involved with the great love of her life and be quite happy going legally solo, especially if she is successful and/or has significant assets. Also, there can be instances where a legally recognized union can affect needed medical care and/or equipment.

She may also be involved in a same sex relationship in a state or commonwealth where same sex marriage is not legal.

The unmarried, "single" state should never be confused with being unlucky in love.

mem nailed my thoughts on the subject. i was, frankly, surprised by theo's op. who asks this of men?

Theo's young enough to think we can "have it all". And all includes a loving relationship. What bothers me is Ms. Hamilton claiming unwed status if she has indeed been married a time or 2.

I can't imagine saying I've never been married or a mother, although I'm not either of those things anymore. I don't know why ppl re-write their life's narrative this way.

I've read the same info GJ posted as well. Also remember reading someplace that she broke her neck in a mva at a later date. I've seen her at the seating symposium in Vancouver, but was never introduced to her or talked to her. She definately has a presence about her.
    Last edited by canuck; 08-11-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: added info.

http://www.marilynhamilton.com/Marilyn/Family.html Link from Marilyns webpage, both mariages are mentioned. Hate to say this Theo but you need to do better research, took me all of a minute to find that link on Google.

dude canuck...you are right. i swore this wasn't on her site when i looked last week

when i read the NM piece about her living alone in a giant house, it made me sad. women DEF don't "need" to marry....i just found it very uncanny that she didn't even date. being solo all through one's life is no way to go. turns out i was wrong
    May the fetus you save be gay

theo, i appreciate the fact you brought her up. probably many didn't know about her at all, let alone credit her with light weight chairs. i think that was the best thing to come out on this thread. she is an incredible person. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Who needs a man around ALL the time....
    Well I do kind of need someone to do some of the heavy lifting sometimes and fix the toilet. I need a neighbor with benefits or some such arrangement

i wish i could be put to more use than fixing a toilet
    i think men and women need each other in equal measures.
    For me nothing beats a woman's sincere smile.

Yes, Cass! Either way, she is an accomplished woman! I hadn't heard of her before. Thanks, Theo!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~