Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Hamilton, para/founder of Quickie, but never married

Marilyn Hamilton, para/founder of Quickie, but never married

She is one seriously successful lady. She broke her back WAY back in '79 while she was hang-gliding, created the first lightweight chair in the early '80s using said hang-gliding materials, and well....the rest is history. She is a millioniare.....but....how much one one ya know?

She never married, no kids....according to a NM article about her lives in an epic 3,000 sq. ft. all by herself. Do you think this has anything to do with her paralysis (hard to find an understanding guy) but she's so smart! Can't she find success in love too? Makes you wonder.....

If you want to learn all about this lady, here is my blog on her "superstar" qualities on Spinalpedia http://www.spinalpedia.com/blog/2012...ilyn-hamilton/
    May the fetus you save be gay

I remember seeing one of the first ridgid Quickies that Randy Snow was using in a Hawaiian tennis tournament (1981). I had one of the first Quadras so was an interesting comparrison. The early Quickies were so well made that I know a guy who still uses one he bought back in '82 I think it was. The customer service was above reproach, now it's one of the worst companies to deal with. The Company went downhill once she got bought out, same with Top End and a few others.

She is one classy lady for sure Theo; much like you.

I'm sure she has her choice of suitors. Sounds like a double standard doesn't it? If it were a guy we'd say, good for you for playing the field and being so independent; with a lady we say the opposite.

Godbless Marilyn, she is defintly one who revolutionized the wheelchair industry. Thanks for the article Theo, right on!

She is a great lady! But according to her web page she is married now to her second husband Bob

Not everyone wants to get married or have kids. If that's YOUR goal for a successful life, that's fine. But you shouldn't place your dreams or desires on someone else. Not everyone wants to be a doctor, lawyer, steelmill worker, or postal worker. But it takes all kinds for a well rounded society. Success to you may mean stay at home wife and mother, to another a high power career and staying single. And both are fine marks of success when you don't try to force them on others.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

If an article about Marilyn Hamilton, in New Mobility Magazine, September 1997 is factual, she was born Marilyn Koobation, and married Rick Hamilton (they knew each other in grammar and high schools) after graduating from college (her website says in her last year of college). They were married for 13 years, 5 of which were after her spinal cord injury.

Though I can't seem to find out when, she met and married a man named Bob Hamilton (yes, her second husband's name is Hamilton too). I found a picture of her and husband Bob surrounded by a group of friends and family members, dated 2004.

My first chair, in 1982 was an original Quickie Rigid (it didn't scissor fold, but the back did fold down to meet the seat. Later, I got a folding Quickie 2 for travel. My wife and I met Marilyn Hamilton at a regional Veteran's Wheelchair games in Fresno, probably in 1983 or 1984. She was there with her company offering participants in the games repairs and tune ups to their chairs.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Most women only marry for financial security, societal pressures or religious reasons. I admired her more when you said she'd not been married :/ Takes a strong, driven woman not to cave to societal pressures.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Bleah. Would you post the same thing about a successful man?

i don't understand the point of op.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i don't understand the point of op.
    I took it to mean a woman is somehow lesser because of never marrying. She was such a successful woman starting quickie and an active life with her paralysis... but was never married sort of thing. Hence my response than marriage is not required for a successful life, and not the mark of success for some.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Who needs a man around ALL the time....
    Well I do kind of need someone to do some of the heavy lifting sometimes and fix the toilet. I need a neighbor with benefits or some such arrangement
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.