Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freewheel-Two years later

I'll echo everyone else. My freewheel is amazing! I feel just like Skogy.... it's like magic.

How does it work in snow? This tends to be my biggest obstacle. Also, does it work with an Icon? I thought I read somewhere that there was an issue. Is it functional with a ZRa (my other chair)?

Thanks.

Hey StarLord, Works great in snow! I probably have more time on mine in the winter than summer! The FreeWheel fits the Icon with some custom shims that I send you. I use a ZRa and works ideal for my FreeWheel.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Hey StarLord, Works great in snow! I probably have more time on mine in the winter than summer! The FreeWheel fits the Icon with some custom shims that I send you. I use a ZRa and works ideal for my FreeWheel.

Pat

and what about in my footplate with 5.5" depth?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    How does it work in snow? This tends to be my biggest obstacle. Also, does it work with an Icon? I thought I read somewhere that there was an issue. Is it functional with a ZRa (my other chair)?

Thanks.
    It won't work with the standard Icon footrest. Pat offers a shim kit, but the footplate will bend the first time you use it. It will work with a ZRA though. The only way it will work with the Icon is if you switch out the footplate with a tubular one of the same size.

Toto, as can be seen in the setup guide the 2 adjustable rear ends that come with the FreeWheel cover footrests from 6.625" depth to under 4".

I like mine, but I really wish it worked as well as every one else's. It is definitely a great product.
    IF you are good with tools and able to drill, file, sand, rig up, stuff.
    I have to tie mine all together when its on the perch otherwise it flips around and drags. The perch doesn't fit so we had to glue some other stuff to it to make it big enough which lasted half the 3 day trip in NYC so I wound up with it on my lap getting dirty when I wasn't using it.
    Took me 6 or more months to use it the first time because I have an unusual footplate, but didnt know this until someone already filed up my footrest trying to make it work. Pat finally sent a new piece (thanks) and another few months later I found someone to attach it for me. So the first year was a waste. I wish I didn't suck at tools and I really think I got a lemon! I have had missing screws, all kinds of stuff.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You got me interested, need something that dosent rut up my lawn, and I'm sure it would be easier to get through it too.

From what I'm guessing reading the website, the tubular portion of the footrest loop needs to be most forward so that a round wide clamping surface is available. I have the TiLite adjustable plate mounted backwards on my chair for chair compactness/battering ram usage. (The bulk of the flat plate is forward of the footrest loop).

Is there hope for an attachment of this to my setup?

Can somebody tell my how we can take a high curb with the Freewheel? I don't have problems with the curbs without it, but I am afraid to go on my back with the Freewheel on.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Bente, I find I am actually LESS likely to tip backwards with it on, since it changes my center of gravity. I find I have no trouble going up a couple of ramps that try and tip me over typically, such that I have to wheel almost leaning on my knees. That said, I can't manage a high curb with it, or without it. But I am guessing that if you don't tip w/out it, you will be fine with it on. Try the first time with someone ready to grab you just in case.

Pat .... I originally had it on the tube with plate* footplate, it worked great, and not problems getting it on and off, or using the perch.

We have switched it to the clamp plate*, and changed the parts around as needed. Now it is a lot trickier to get on (not that big a deal) but the perch isn't dependable. It will randomly jump off on it's own. Suggestions?

*using the descriptions from your pdf.
    Last edited by sjean423; 08-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005