Thread: Need Protein shake, smell returning

Need Protein shake, smell returning

Hey,

Last summer when I got a SCI I also lost my sense of smell, and it just started returning last week. That is awesome for me, however currently everything smells, and tastes really bad. I also have an overactive bladder and I take oxybutynin everyday for that, which decreases the amount of saliva I produce so it is really hard for me to eat anything. Here is the list of foods that I found irritate the bladder.

I have been making a protein shake since about March, and now that it is really difficult for me to eat this is even more important. However, I discovered a few ingredients I was using that irritate my bladder and cause me to cath frequently. These are: milk, banana and greek yogurt. Also, I put peanut butter in it a few times and I can not stand the taste even wearing a nose plug. Since I stopped drinking those a couple days ago my cath schedule is back to normal. However, I still need to drink a protein shake, at least until everything does not taste really bad.

So my question is can someone help me come up with a recipe for a shake fit for my issues? What I really need help is to choose a protein powder to use, after doing a little research I found this protein powder, it has the highest protein content that I have found so far and is the only kind that comes unflavored.

Zero Carb Isopure
    -50g of Protein per Serving
    -Fat, Sugar, Carb, and Lactose Free!
    -Comes in unflavored taste
    -$44.74

Here is a good review on this powder.

Also, these are the things that I have liked to put in my protein shake:
    1. Frozen strawberries - 1/4 cup
    2. Frozen blueberries - 1/4 cup
    3. Frozen blackberries - 1/4 cup
    4. Water

Protien shakes are like snake doctors, there's so much crap in these mixes that I don't think you really know what it is you're taking.

I have a very sensitive system however not comparable to yours. I can't take products that clain to be lactose free, they still irritate my stomach. Have you tried an egg base protein? There are several choices on the market.

You can also try soy protein however there are studies that contraindicate men taking soy base protein products. What I have found a few months ago is a product called ViSalus. This is soy base product that claims to have been cleared of any hormones that will affect men. Check them out on the internet...lot of info on the company.

They have large elite athlete following including male and female, I've been susing their products for about 2 months now and have had zero issues with digestions.

Good Luck

One more thing....here's what my moring shake includes

Half cup of chocolate Coconut milk
    Half cup of water
    A banana
    4-5 Strawberries
    One scoope of Visalus Protien Powder
    One scoppe of Dynamax Egg Protein Powder
    Ice....and into the blender

Good luck on your shake hunt. The loss of smell is usually because of a head injury. Even a concussion can cause it. The occipital lobe of the brain at the back is the area for smell and eyesight.

The outcome is unpredictable. Some aspects of your sense of smell may never return to normal. Changes are often slow and can go on for years. Smell is the least researched and understood of our senses.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I know there is a lot of controversy and not much hard science about the use of coconut milk, but no matter what, coconut milk is high in saturated fat, which isn't good for your cholesterol levels. If you have cholesterol issues and have factors in your life that put you at risk for heart disease, coconut milk may not be the best choice in your smoothie.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I know there is a lot of controversy and not much hard science about the use of coconut milk, but no matter what, coconut milk is high in saturated fat, which isn't good for your cholesterol levels. If you have cholesterol issues and have factors in your life that put you at risk for heart disease, coconut milk may not be the best choice in your smoothie.

All the best,
    GJ
    Good Point...I've also used Almond Milk

thanks everyone.

yeah last June I fell 25 feet, fractured 2 vertebrae as well as my skull in two places, so unlucky for me I suffered an SCI and a TBI. When my brain got jarred back and forth that caused my olfactory nerve to get messed up, and for a while after my injury I had double vision. I have an appointment to see a nutritionist on the 13th and to see an ENT doctor on the 20th, but while I was in ICU the doctors did not know much in regard to my sense of smell.

Until everything does not taste really bad, or hopefully when my sense of smell returns, this protein shake will serve as a meal replacement. I like the shake that mustang3 drinks, with a few replacements.

Since this will serve as a meal replacement, I am going to replace the water and milk with one, 8oz bottle of Ensure (which I drink every other day, so I know it doesn't affect me, and under the ingredients it says lactose free). I have also made a shake with frozen strawberries and blueberries so I know those 2 do not affect me either. Here is what I have come up with:

-8 oz of Ensure Clinical Strength
    -quarter cup of frozen strawberries
    -quarter cup of frozen blueberries
    -one scoop of ViSalus (which one would you recommend: Nutritional Shake or Balance Kit)
    -one scoop of egg protein powder: Micellar Creme

According to this post, specifically #7, I am also going to add 2 oz of liquid colloidal minerals (I already take enough pills every day I do not want to take 4 more of the Purity stuff)