Thread: Camping for the first time post! Help!

Camping for the first time post! Help!

Good morning!

Sam and I are going camping for my family reunion at the end of the month. Its a ten day trip and will take place at a remote campsite. We will have electricity but no running water.

In the past we have just stayed in my brothers pop up, but there is no way Sam can get in and move around without help. Plus she wants privacy and our own space now that weare married. So my big question is what does everyone camp in? We have been looking at multiroom tents but they all have a big lip and Sam is afraid she will rip it when she goes in.

We are looking for any tips too. We did a lot of camping in the past so we have some knowledge, I just want to make it fun and relaxing for all of us. This is also the first time Sam will be with all my relatives ( my dad is one of nine kids) since the accident. I just dont want her to feel overwhelmed.
    Thanks
    Ayden

We use a tent and the lip is a slight pain in the butt, but if you steak the tent a little bit loose in the front and leave some slack then it works out fine to roll over. A slight wheelie over the lip to get back out is usually neccessary for me. I've used long objects to hold the corners down so that they whole lip goes down and touches the ground and I can roll out without doing a wheelie. Just depends on the texture and slant of the ground that you have the tent steaked on.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

When my wife and I go camping we bring a big tent. The lip is a pain, but like offroaderswife says, if it is loose it is ok. With heavy use and knobby tires I still haven't done any damage. We bring tarps for the floor though, because turning puts a lot of stress on the floor from the twisting effect of the tires.

We also bring a portable bed along. It has a frame that folds up quite small and has an air mattress that goes on top. These are pretty easy to find at a department store.

My son is going with me for my first camping trip this year. We are to leave Sunday and spend two nights. The campground we are going to has ADA spots and restrooms with hot showers and even has electric plugins for your hairdryer that are completely accessible. The site is also accessible. It feels a little odd though because the site is fenced in and feels like you are living in a glass house.

Don't forget the air mattress. 10 days is a long time to camp out. I couldn't do it, not even in a perfectly accessible campsite.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

how about a hammock tent

"Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

they have all types of hammock tents, round ones, doubles, google hammock tents and look for images, you could adjust the height for level transfers.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I have done the same, just staked the tent with some slack.

Use the search .... there have been a couple of other discussions lately, and you will get more ideas.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005