Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity is at Mars and we are still sitting in our chairs

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I heard a factoid the other day, don't know if it's true or not... that on one year's defense budget 25,000,000 kids could be sent to college.

Our country used to be #1 due to its advancements in science and technology, and while I'd give almost anything to go dancing this weekend, I'd also rather not pull funds from science to pay for science. Why not pull from the war to insure our future advancements?
    and what would then happen if everyone had a college education? would robots be making our food at mcdonalds?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    and what would then happen if everyone had a college education? would robots be making our food at mcdonalds?
    are you serious or joking, because I genuinely can't tell.

p.s. if this is a joke it's hillarious
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

To be fair, the Curiosity rover is stuck on wheels too.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Someone shut this guy up, please :-)
    Why? These are cracking me up!

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    I think Paolo's point is that good science is not the only thing involved. Commitment and motivation are needed. Basic research is a natural part of human nature, but results bettering the human condition are still spin off. Getting noticed, quick bang for the bucks and so on are the motivators.
    Brilliant minds only are not the answer to humanitarian and medical needs.
    Yes, good scienze is not the only factor.

Nasa has good scientists, a good organization, it is GOAL driven and has money too.
    This way they went to the moon and now landed one more robot on mars etc.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 08-11-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Sure man, you win. If we hadn't spent the 2B on the mars mission we would all be walking.
    No I don't think so.

If you put 2B in SCI research in the current sistem many things could happen, but I don't think we all will walk.

I imagine that Wise would set up a global clinical trial net with 1000 centers testing UCB+Li and also other things of course..
    There would be lots more useless studies about SCI and more SCI models very distants from reality would be created and the conclusion would be always that more studies are needed before moving on humans.

Finally some good researchers would make some significant progress, but likely not enough to get we all walking.

Since you have worked for NASA, do you think that if NASA had the goal to cure SCI in 10 years would they be able to make it?

Paolo

P.S. please don't answer if you are in severe pain and/or if you are having a bad day, wait to feel good first

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    Yep. It's ridiculous to draw such conclusions.

And no one owes us anything, anyway.
    Yes it's ridiculous to draw such conclusion.

Paolo

Carbon fiber

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I thought we got titanium chairs because of NASA?
    No not titanium but carbon fiber. Titanium was discovered in 1791.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

lol thanks for the correction. I was being facetious anyway.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

We should be looking at defense budget not 4/10 of a penny on a tax dollar NASA is getting.
    If we follow this rather ridiculous argument we can apply it to any circumstance we want. For instance .. lets stop buying useless gadgets and spend all the money on SCI or lets stop paying off the banks and put billions in SCI cure where the return is a big question mark. See where I am going with this?

Well, in NASA case we would be robbing next generation from inspiration which is in fact is much needed in the time of crisis that is present.

I dont think you are looking for money in the right place. Nasa is giving jobs to a very talented bunch that have an actual impact on world. I will go with Neil deGrasse Tyson on this one. Read his latest book. Its a good read. Watch this clip and tell me he doesnt have a valid argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc
    Last edited by BSgimp; 08-12-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSgimp View Post
    We should be looking at defense budget not 4/10 of a penny on a tax dollar NASA is getting.
    If we follow this rather ridiculous argument we can apply it to any circumstance we want. For instance .. lets stop buying useless gadgets and spend all the money on SCI or lets stop paying off the banks and put billions in SCI cure where the return is a big question mark. See where I am going with this?

Well, in NASA case we would be robbing next generation from inspiration which is in fact is much needed in the time of crisis that is present.

I dont think you are looking for money in the right place. Nasa is giving jobs to a very talented bunch that have an actual impact on world. I will go with Neil deGrasse Tyson on this one. Read his latest book. Its a good read. Watch this clip and tell me he doesnt have a valid argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc
    BSgimp,

here NASA to me was just a point to start a discussion to touch several issues.(I personally love NASA & what they have been doing since it has been created. For example they had to kick me off from Houston center when they were closing it. Then I went back next day to spend another day there).
    I think that if SCI cure would be considered a priority by people who allocate federal $ we would have the money we need, probably it makes more sense to cut from defense budget than from NASA budget or maybe from something else, I don't know for sure.

Then once we have the money we still have to find the cure, which could be compared to going to the moon after Kennedy decided that was the goal and made the money available.

Paolo