Thread: Rules for caregivers

Blog Entries

Rules for caregivers

I have read any number of posts about problems when outside caregivers aren't permitted to do something; the most recent was about bowel care. Who sets these regulations? I'm thinking it might be possible to modify some rules, but where to start?

After I accomplish this, I plan to create a teaching video on tilting at windmills.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

It varies by state.. Some states have very specific laws, so it would be the legislature (and many vested interest groups with strong lobbies) who determine this. Making change would require a change in the law.

For some, the law is more vague, but it gives the power to regulate health care professional and non-professional licensed and certified nursing personnel, usually to a state Board of Nursing (and sometimes a separate Board for Certificate NA and HHA, as well as LVN/LPN, as in my state). They are employed to regulate by the publication of regulations. Setting regulations in most states means having hearings with testimony, publication of proposed regulations, allowing a period fo public comment, revision, and then publication as a regulation. This is also a prolonged process, often taking years to make changes.

Disability rights groups and consumer advocate groups are often in the best position to give input on these. Individuals have little ability to influence this process, or to be available for the frequent testimony, (often with little notice) generally held only in the state capital. You can talk to the people in your local ILC, who should be up on these proposed changes, or know who is already working on getting revisions made.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Thanks KLD. Makes tilting at windmills sound easy.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12