Thread: Paralympics founder Sir Ludwig Guttmann's legacy celebrated in BBC drama

Thumbs up Paralympics founder Sir Ludwig Guttmann's legacy celebrated in BBC drama

How great that Prof. Sir Ludwig Guttmann’s legacy is celebrated by a BBC drama. Sir Ludwig Guttmann is known for establishing of a first spinal cord injury unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in the U.K. and also as the founder of the Paralympics Games. He was also the first ISCoS President from 1961 – 1970. All honour to Sir Ludwig Guttmann for his great work for persons with spinal cord injuries and persons with disabilities!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...BBC-drama.html

Here is the full movie on Youtube.

The best TV drama I've ever watched!

"Poppa" Guttmann was still alive when I was in rehab. at Stoke Mandeville and a lot of the staff had worked under him, their general consensus was that he should have been canonized.

Thanks for posting that. Wonderfully done. Wonder if there is a documentary on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    The best TV drama I've ever watched!

"Poppa" Guttmann was still alive when I was in rehab. at Stoke Mandeville and a lot of the staff had worked under him, their general consensus was that he should have been canonized.
    Jonathan,

I liked the TV film a lot as well and it is fascinating to read that you where a customer at Stoke Mandeville at the time Guttmann was still alive, and I can understand the staff wanted him honored as best possible. Spinal cord injured all over the world has a lot to thank dr. Guttmann for. - I’m working on getting the film broadcasted on national TV over here because I think many more should see it, including peoples without SCI and especially those, SCI or not, wanting to cut down on care and rehab. Btw. I’m going to the ISCoS congress in London that takes place from 3.-5.- September. I’m flying over to London the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by hcho72 View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Wonderfully done. Wonder if there is a documentary on this.
    Glad you liked it. Not sure about the documentary but more about Guttmann can be read at the ISCoS home pages.

http://www.iscos.org.uk

Here is also a link to the ISCoS congress 2012 in London.

http://www2.kenes.com/iscos2012/Pages/Home.aspx

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Excellent.

Thank you for finding and posting the youtube link.

What happened to the video? It's not on You Tube anymore??
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

If you go to the video posted in the message above and click on "The Best of Men" in the upper left hand corner, it will bring you to the YouTube site and you can watch the video full screen there. I could not find ot on YouTube by sratching the title
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    The inspirational doctor who saved fellow Jews from Nazis before fleeing Germany to start Paralympic Games after WWII

Ludwig Guttmann told doctors to admit Jews to hospital even if they did not need treatment
    Saved 60 people from certain death by telling German officers they were too sick to leave
    Arrived in the UK in 1939 after fleeing the Nazis
    Led inspirational initiative to treat people who had become paralysed
    Dr Guttmann impressed the government enough to open spinal injuries unit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz24y9cCsqB

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ralympics.html