Thread: Spinal stimulator

Spinal stimulator

I just watched a show on a new procedure on spinal stimulators. They were implanted in 2 people. Both were able to walk with help from a walker. Is there any info on this site about this procedure?
    Bryan

There are/were a few trials involving stimulators, the first to come to mind is Dr. Herman's in Arizona.

[This message was edited by seneca on 06-16-04 at 01:24 AM.]

sci-co-pilot, I agree with seneca. It is very likely to be about Richard Hermann. He has reported on two patients that he has used an epidural spinal cord stimulator to activate the locomotor pattern generator to help them walk. You can find out more information from Carhart, et al. (2004). Epidural spinal-cord stimulation facilitates recovery of functional walking and electrode implants. wise.

Purdue University is working on the "traxon device" You can learn more about this by using the find feature at the top of the page and hitting in the keyword "traxon".

I saw this last night too, it was interesting for sure. Seems pretty applicable to those who might have some leg function to start with.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Thanks for the replies people.
    Bryan