Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: texas to defy constitution and execute mentally disabled prisoner

Part of the reason I've grown so uncomfortable w/ the death penalty is the racial issues. I knew this guy would be black or latino before I looked at his photo, b/c duhhhh, it's Texas. But I think the higher execution rate for POC probably hold true in any redneck stronghold.

Also they've executed too many mistakes.

To my knowledge, Steinbeck isn't on any TX high school curriculum.

Recently re-read OM&M. Depressing, and I love Steinbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Part of the reason I've grown so uncomfortable w/ the death penalty is the racial issues. I knew this guy would be black or latino before I looked at his photo, b/c duhhhh, it's Texas. But I think the higher execution rate for POC probably hold true in any redneck stronghold.

Also they've executed too many mistakes.

To my knowledge, Steinbeck isn't on any TX high school curriculum.

Recently re-read OM&M. Depressing, and I love Steinbeck.
    I just recently reread all my Steinbeck books. OM&M was, to me, not all that depressing on the last reading. At least Lennie had a friend, work, freedom and, since there still is no cure for mental retardation of his degree, a quick and painless death.

Yes, the latest execution was a black man. The innocent man they executed was Hispanic and native born.

Yea, hard to use the Lennie standard if no one has read any Steinbeck but especially OM&M. Perk up and go read Travels With Charlie. I'm now rereading Faulkner. Amazing the stuff I missed the first and second times through these great books.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

does this website really say that the ACLU lists of mice and men as a banned book in texas?

So they can govern by it, but not let the kids read it?
    the fuck.

http://www.bannedbookstx.org/resourc...e-banned-books
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

if a person is a serious proven threat to society i agree he/she should be removed for the greater good.

When all people who may serve as judge or juror achieve flawless judgement and omniscience regarding fact, I will consider supporting the death penalty.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    if a person is a serious proven threat to society i agree he/she should be removed for the greater good.
    I knew dropping an f bomb would get you in here.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

We all value life and that is good. Do we value it so much that we think living in a cell with no liberty and no chance of it is actually living? Is the guy doing any good in the situation he is in now? Can he? Is it time to send him home to He who gives final merciful judgement? I believe it is vital for we who are God respecting people and Christians to remember the eternal aspect of life and allow a person the liberty to face the Judge who gave up His mortal life so that His Mercy can pay the price of justice.

When there is established guilt and no chance for restitution in this life isn't it more merciful to send a person Home to the God of Love than to keep him locked up for decades in low level misery and pain?

Then God can kill him.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    does this website really say that the ACLU lists of mice and men as a banned book in texas?

So they can govern by it, but not let the kids read it?
    the fuck.

http://www.bannedbookstx.org/resourc...e-banned-books
    Yes, it really says that according to the ACLU of Texas that Of Mice and Men is banned in schools there. And I doubt it is because of the idea of vigilante justice (the posse sent after Lennie).

Nice calling card.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by camsevy View Post
    We all value life and that is good. Do we value it so much that we think living in a cell with no liberty and no chance of it is actually living? Is the guy doing any good in the situation he is in now? Can he? Is it time to send him home to He who gives final merciful judgement? I believe it is vital for we who are God respecting people and Christians to remember the eternal aspect of life and allow a person the liberty to face the Judge who gave up His mortal life so that His Mercy can pay the price of justice.

When there is established guilt and no chance for restitution in this life isn't it more merciful to send a person Home to the God of Love than to keep him locked up for decades in low level misery and pain?
    You make a lot of assumptions here. Not everyone in the US is God respecting and Christian. Many God respecting Christians firmly believe that if someone is found guilty of murder they should be put to death and then roast in Hell because he killed someone using free will. At least with Life Without Parole if DNA or a unknown previous witness or new evidence shows up the person is alive to let them reenter society.