Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower chair padding

Shower chair padding

What do others use for cushioning on shower chairs? I have a standard shower chair, but the bottom is hard and rough. Would something like this work? http://www.therohostore.com/Products...n__PACKIT.aspx

Or are there any gel options? I'm a quad so I'm afraid that the roho won't give me enough stability in the shower.
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

I just use a folded towel.

You could just use a padded shower chair. I have been doing that since 1983.

Roho does make a specialty cushion for a shower/commode chair:

http://www.therohogroup.com/products...de_cushion.jsp

All the best,
    GJ

I don't use a commode chair, so that roho won't work. I'll look into a padded chair for now and using towels in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    What do others use for cushioning on shower chairs? I have a standard shower chair, but the bottom is hard and rough. Would something like this work? http://www.therohostore.com/Products...n__PACKIT.aspx

Or are there any gel options? I'm a quad so I'm afraid that the roho won't give me enough stability in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    I don't use a commode chair, so that roho won't work. I'll look into a padded chair for now and using towels in the interim.
    I guess I don't understand what kind of chair you have, "I have a standard shower chair." I assumed that a standard shower chair also had a commode cut out not only for toileting but for easy access for bathing. Are you using a shower bench? There might be an option in gel pads that are used in hospitals on surgical tables.

All the best,
    GJ

Try layers of a yoga mat. Every year or so I redo the padding on mine and recover with layers of a thin yoga mat. They withstand the water fairly well, you can cut and shape whatever you need with a box cutter, and can be moderately slip resistant if you get a textured one. I use Gorilla Glue and some duct tape on the bottom of the seat to secure. And you can find them cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshall's type of store.

I just use a chair with no butt cut out. Kind of like this: https://www.mountainside-medical.com...Guard-96-2.jpg

It's funny you mention the yoga mat. My bed has a wooden frame that hurts my butt when I transfer, so I cover it with a yoga mat. Maybe I'll try that.

A regular Roho cushion without the cover will work if you don't have a cut out seat. A padded seat shower chair would of course be better (something like this):

A good quality closed cell foam can be used, but be sure it is at least 3" thick. If you use open cell, it will soak up the water like a sponge, and eventually mold or mildew.

The Roho cushions that attach to a toilet seat are nice, but the straps that secure them in place are their weak point...easily torn off.

(KLD)

I was thinking once of using those gardner kneeling pads. You can glue them together for more thickness. They seem to be more durable than vinyl covered pads, which crack after several months. Something like:

or

C-6/7 incomplete