Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius

I heard today that Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee who competed in track events on blades in the 2012 Olympics will also compete in the 2012 Paralympics and is planning on continuing training for the regular games in 2016 Olympics in Rio.

The question, don't you have to choose whether you are going to compete as able bodied or as disabled. Can you have it both ways?

All the best,
    GJ

No, I don't think you have to choose. Look at events that have age categories. If you entered a marathon in the 50+ category, you can win that class and the overall.

If you were a female athlete that also competed against males, you are still female and can compete in female only competitions.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    No, I don't think you have to choose. Look at events that have age categories. If you entered a marathon in the 50+ category, you can win that class and the overall.

If you were a female athlete that also competed against males, you are still female and can compete in female only competitions.
    Remember, I am talking Olympics/Paralympics here, nothing else.

All the best,
    GJ

If he fits the qualifications that the Olympics and the Paralympics have (which he does) then I think he should be allowed to participate in both.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    If he fits the qualifications that the Olympics and the Paralympics have (which he does) then I think he should be allowed to participate in both.
    I agree. He has been in the Paralympics in the past, and fought to get into the Olympics too. I say more power to him! (I felt bad for him last night when he failed to qualify for the 400 meter finals).

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    To qualify for the 400 he had to meet the A standard by beating 45.25 seconds. He ran 45.07. If he were to run in the paralympics, would he be allowed to use his carbon fiber prostheses?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    If he were to run in the paralympics, would he be allowed to use his carbon fiber prostheses?
    Why would he not? He would be racing against many other double and single amputees with the same prosthesis...just as he did in Bejing in 2008.

(KLD)

To qualify for the 400 he had to meet the A standard by beating 45.25 seconds. He ran 45.07. If he were to run in the paralympics, would he be allowed to use his carbon fiber prostheses?
    Yes...that is actually the material a lot of my friends who are amps use for their running legs.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Obviously, I have seen very little of the paralympics.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Obviously, I have seen very little of the paralympics.
    That is the sad part. The Paralympics get little TV coverage here, so no one gets to see much unless you attend. Oscar certainly has gotten much more attention in these Olympics than Beijing.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/