Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pistol shooting

pistol shooting

Anyone have any tips or tricks when you are shooting a pistol. I am t-4-5 and when I use both hand since I have no abs it is hard to use both hands to shoot so I end up shooting 1 handed which isn't the most steady in the world. I try to get my butt to the end of my seat so I am more reclined but still don't work great...thanks

Im a T10 And have full abs function so I might not be much help. I do Like to fire a large calber .40 and .45 handguns I like to be fully seated and try to lean back just a bit. Dont fire one handed! Use both hands! the problem I have is back pain.

I'm T4/5 as well and always practice shooting one hand. If I'm ever in a self defense situation the odds of being able to use two hands is miniscule. I do sometimes try it by lifting myself and sitting further forward on the cushion. This way using two hands doesn't make me fall forward.

I am using an H&K USP .40 S&W.
    Andrew

Well if you are shooting for fun, try a pair of shooting stiks. They are made to adjust and may allow you a good two hand hold. Depending on your spasticity you may be able to pull your knee up, get your foot on the seat and use the knee for a rest. If this is for combat, self defense. With no core strength I might suggest fire with retention or what might be called from the hip. This style is dangerous to be going out and doing on your own. Find a local USPS or IDPA shooting club, I think your in AZ they have some good ones. I bet you will find a good safety officer that would work with you.

Sorry SD sure ain't AZ
    Dam

ok thanks for all the tips, no matter what in self defense whomever is going down no matter how I hold it

I dunno if you have armrests or not on your chair, but an elbow and side stance to the target will get a good base going

Here are a couple clips of me shooting.
    The first is left handed with a 9mm HK. I'm right hand dominant but I can pull the trigger with my left hand trigger finger - https://vimeo.com/47040137
    The second is me shooting cross stance with my right hand. I have to use my middle finger though to pull the trigger though with my right hand but after some practice I'm moderately accurate with it. It is slow mo but it's cool to see the slide jump back and casing fly through the air. It's a .45 HK - https://vimeo.com/47040138

I'll brace myself with the non-shooting hand on my chair or lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjt8 View Post
    Well if you are shooting for fun, try a pair of shooting stiks. They are made to adjust and may allow you a good two hand hold. Depending on your spasticity you may be able to pull your knee up, get your foot on the seat and use the knee for a rest. If this is for combat, self defense. With no core strength I might suggest fire with retention or what might be called from the hip. This style is dangerous to be going out and doing on your own. Find a local USPS or IDPA shooting club, I think your in AZ they have some good ones. I bet you will find a good safety officer that would work with you.
    Finding a range with a certified trainer or safety officer is great advice.

I worked, weekly, for ~1 year with an FBI certified handgun instructor and tha time was incredibly valuable, especially in 'force on force' scenarios, in which specific and practical techniques can be worked out for individual shooters.

FYI: I grazed my knee, while training with supervision, firing with retention. I'm not convinced its the best option to deploy, from a chair, without MUCH practice.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I am a T7,8,9 and have limited ab strength when using both hands directly out in front of me. I have a S&W .40 and have almost had to use it for self defense once (thought someone had broken into my house). With the adrenaline that scare gave me, I had all the strength I needed for both arms out front.
    As for practice, I try to turn my body at a slight angle. I somehow get more stability out of it.