Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressed Cord at C3/C4 Mid July - Everything Moves!

Your son seems to be making terrific progress and I hope he continues to do so. This type of injury is very scary and I completely understand the need to know what the future will bring. SCI recovery will take it's own time, though. In the meantime, your son is fortunate to be able to stand and take a few steps. I always think that if there's even a glimmer of motion, it's a starting point. He was probably an athletic person before his injury and that will help him, too.

Make the absolute most of everything the physios teach him. He should work as hard as he can...harder than he's ever worked at anything before.

Help him to set steady and small goals for improvement. Keep a log of his exercises and the changes that they bring. Even though time can crawl after such an injury, after awhile, you may be glad to have a diary of recovery to refer to...and remember the days when he wasn't able to do as much. Set small goals and celebrate when they are met.

I approached my recovery like a project manager, because that's what I do. It helped tremendously to be organized and systematic and to have records to refer to. It was a huge psychological boost ... and at the end of the day, the psychological aspect may be the hardest to handle.

From the heart, I wish a full recovery for your son. Please let us know how he does....better yet, have him tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Dale,

Your son should continue to recover substantially over the coming year, including his bladder and bowel sensation. A year from now, although he may look completely recovered, he will probably tell you that he is not 100% and that his coordination, agility, and strength is not the same. But, he is a lucky man.

Wise.

Thank you Wise for taking interest and your time to contribute to this, your comments are very comforting and encouraging. Dale.

Not to provide false hope here but my roommate in rehab was admitted within a week of injury as a C7 who could feel everything and only wiggle his big toe (I was a complete C7 a little over three months post SCI). He could move everything within a month and was using a walker at the two month point. He walked out of rehab barely using a cane at three months. I lost track of him after 9 months but he pretty much fully recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Your son seems to be making terrific progress and I hope he continues to do so. This type of injury is very scary and I completely understand the need to know what the future will bring. SCI recovery will take it's own time, though. In the meantime, your son is fortunate to be able to stand and take a few steps. I always think that if there's even a glimmer of motion, it's a starting point. He was probably an athletic person before his injury and that will help him, too.

Make the absolute most of everything the physios teach him. He should work as hard as he can...harder than he's ever worked at anything before.

Help him to set steady and small goals for improvement. Keep a log of his exercises and the changes that they bring. Even though time can crawl after such an injury, after awhile, you may be glad to have a diary of recovery to refer to...and remember the days when he wasn't able to do as much. Set small goals and celebrate when they are met.

I approached my recovery like a project manager, because that's what I do. It helped tremendously to be organized and systematic and to have records to refer to. It was a huge psychological boost ... and at the end of the day, the psychological aspect may be the hardest to handle.

From the heart, I wish a full recovery for your son. Please let us know how he does....better yet, have him tell us.

Hi Truly. He is indeed a fit guy of only 29, athletic and healthy.Your words are indeed inspirational and very helpful. I will be showing all these wonderful posts to Ian so he continues to be of a positive spirit and motivated. I of course wish you all the very best and love with regard to your own endeavours and wellbeing. We'll speak again and have a good weekend in the US of A.
    Last edited by DaleMinton; 08-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Not to provide false hope here but my roommate in rehab was admitted within a week of injury as a C7 who could feel everything and only wiggle his big toe (I was a complete C7 a little over three months post SCI). He could move everything within a month and was using a walker at the two month point. He walked out of rehab barely using a cane at three months. I lost track of him after 9 months but he pretty much fully recovered.

Hi Patton. He needs all the inspiration he can get, and your reply, along with others, will continue his belief that there is hope and he can beat this. My thoughts are with you and I pray for you all - don't loose faith.

Dale.