Thread: T6-t9 spinal cord hemorage

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

Question T6-t9 spinal cord hemorage

Hi - I had a spinal cord hemorage in the T6 - T9 area that has left me paralized from the chest down - I was in rehab at the National Rehab Hospital in Washington DC for about 6 weeks - I am really struggling with this and have had a very hard time finding in home help - specially for the bowel program. I am currently trying to get an appointment for a 2nd opinion at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. The doctors at NRH did not really give me a prognosis for recovery other then 3 to 6 months and we will see. Anyone have any guesses on recovery? Any and all responses are appreciated

Welcome to CareCure!

Often people with vascular causes of SCI get some return, although the amount varies widely. 3-6 months would be the period of most return, but some can continue for up to 2 years post. Getting some early return is a good predictor for continuing slow return. Has anything changed for you yet?

Puzzled about why you need assistance for bowel care though. Most people at your level of injury are able to do their own bowel care.

(KLD)

Hello Treeza
    I had a spinal stroke (clot) in late Nov 10. I understand that the symptoms and treatment are similar to that for a spinal bleed. I was also paralysed from chest down and am now starting to walk again using a zimmer frame. Bladder and Bowel problems now resolving.

If the Nurse supervising this site is agreeable that the two conditions are similar, i could tell you a bit about my experiences.

Best Regards
    Malachi

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Hi SCI-Nurse and Oconnor - thanks for your replies -

SCI-Nurse - as of now I have not had any change in paralysis - as for not being able to manage my own bowel program - I have tried but just can't do it on my own - my husband was doing it for a while but he has returned to work - we fortunately have finally found a group that will help - unfortunately I am not able to get on the commode or a commode seat due to lack of balance, which is why I find it difficult to manage the bowels on my own - I am also on a foley catheter due to no bladder contol *sigh*

Oconnor - thanks again for your input - would love to hear about your experience in hopes that our results would be similar.

Keeping positive thoughts

Theresa

Hi Theresa.

I had a spinal bleed which paralyzed me at T4 complete, in 2004. I'd say I've got a tiny bit of feeling back, but no movement. But, everyone is different.

Please keep trying to do your own bowel program. I gather you are quite recently injured. We all feel like we can't do things at first. I am more paralyzed than you, and I can tell you that I was afraid of the shower chair transfer at first, as I have NO trunk control at all, and have to balance using an arm or two. (And many people with neck injuries are also independent in the bowel program).
    Now I use a transfer board, and it's not scary at all.
    I'm certain you can learn to do the bp, if you work hard (unless you have other complications you've not mentioned here). You will feel much better doing it for yourself.

Why do you need a Foley?

Hi, on March 08,2010 I had a spontaneous epidural hematoma (bleed) from c-1 to t-4 caused by coumadin my inr was greater than a 10. I was completely paralyzed from the chest down.

After 6 days on a vent and four months in hospitals and rehab, I can now walk very slowly and short distances with a walker. My bladder and bowels don't work, numbness and tingling below injury level and I can lift arms less than 90 degrees. On my left side fingers don't move ( constantly extended), and no strength in wrist or forearms. After EEG on triceps, doctors determined 4 percent of nerve working both sides. I was just wondering what extent of recovery I could expect? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    Hi, on March 08,2010 I had a spontaneous epidural hematoma (bleed) from c-1 to t-4 caused by coumadin my inr was greater than a 10. I was completely paralyzed from the chest down.

After 6 days on a vent and four months in hospitals and rehab, I can now walk very slowly and short distances with a walker. My bladder and bowels don't work, numbness and tingling below injury level and I can lift arms less than 90 degrees. On my left side fingers don't move ( constantly extended), and no strength in wrist or forearms. After EEG on triceps, doctors determined 4 percent of nerve working both sides. I was just wondering what extent of recovery I could expect? Thank you
    Wow that's just what happened to me. It's rare I come across someone with the same cause of injury.
    I had a spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma. No cause was found for mine.
    You've had a lot more recovery than me. I still can't move a muscle below my injury.

i had a hemangioma rupture and bleed in my c4 area..causing pressure on my cord and paralysis......i could nt move a thing for weeks....got slow return....lots of hard work...6 years now, im taking steps in a litegait walker...no braces, can lockout legs, sit to stand, etc....
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Dear Treeza,
    I don't know what to say except this is a shocking injury for you to get and whats just as bad if not worse is that you are in a position where you do not know right now what the future holds.

I am 47 was paralysed just 3 months ago, not a hair moving below chest level and all sorts of serious suggestions by medical staff that things wont get better but I have and I am today now practicing walking using my own walking rails at home made from parts of a small boat mast. I have lots of help during the day from the hospital but essentially live alone in an isolated rural region now which was a little tricky at first from a wheelchair but not so bad now.There was no clear immediate reason why I sustained this injury.

Just to give you a potted history of recovery. Its obvious I have been very lucky. However as recently as 6 weeks ago, with one leg entirely dead and the other defrosting slowly, a physiotherapist suggested to me not to expect to get any return of motion on the bad leg. How wrong can you be.

The key things for me along the way since the time of injury have been to get tiny electrical trickles, almost imperceptible, in any lower limb muscle that I could. I found that in the bad leg, that tiny electrical muscle trickles was almost just my own imagination. (in fact it was just imagination by recalling what it felt like before injury) If I could raise or sense any small muscle and the first one on the bad leg took weeks, I could then get the adjacent muscle bundle to move as well(because its attached) and this appeared to reactivate that adjacent muscle bundle bit by bit. The other key item has been the 'Motomed' cycling machine which I rented for 3 months. Initially, it seemed a daft idea to attempt cycling (the machine provides power assist when you cannot move the pedals). Initially I could not move the pedals and sat in the wheel chair with my legs being turned by the machine. After a few days a bizarre thing happened. I would strap on one leg which was completely frozen, I would let the machien start it pedalling slowly and then I would shut off the power and my leg would continue to pedal on and on but I had absolutely no sensation or intention of cycling...my leg just kept cycling producing tiny amounts of power on its own, for example 2 -5 watts which is about what a fly uses for take off. Now my power is up to 50 watts and I can cycle 5 km in 10 minutes.

My bladder was not working but one day, almost as if a telephone connection was made, my bladder started to work after a long period of bed pads and constant mess. The continence nnurse has just finished her home assistance and advice. Her approach is based on ...for bowels.....on a high fibre food regime and regularity of bowel emptying to retrain the bowel emptying function to meet new conditions, post injury. I sure you know all this by now and for me it seems to have worked.

At the moment you are in a very injured state and you will have good days and bad days, two days ago I felt I would never walk again, today I was taking steps alone on bars. The commode and toilets were very worrying and tricky to manage up to even a couple of weeks ago and almost impossible at the start. Shower chair also worrying.

Let me kow if I can help in some way by relating what has happened. I seem to be doing well and if I can pass anything on, I will.

Malachi

help

My mother was on warfarin. Her insurance did not cover Coumadin either. After being on warfarin, because of a pulmonary embolism, for 2 months, she had side effects of right sided weakness, tingling, numbness, also 3 eyebleeds, a bloody nose, back pain, and other possible side effects. Her physician missed the side effects and treated her for a pinched nerve, and thought she had a stroke. MRI's of her brain, and her lower lumbar region were taken along with x-rays. A stroke was ruled out and physical therapy was ordered. 14 months later she had a spinal bleed. She was transported to a larger hospital. Her INR 2 days before the spinal bleed is said to be within therapeutic range. She was given 2-3 bags of thickner before the transfer to a different facility. Her INR upon arrival was 4.0 and 2 more bags were given. Emergency surgery was done and she woke up paralized from the breast bone down. Almost 3 years after her surgery, she can transfer with help, but she will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Everything has changed. She has to be catheterized every 4 hours and she is also bowel incontinent. She has unbearable tailbone pain and has to sit everyday. She is taking so many medications for pain and bowel regimen. She has leg and stomach spasms that are unbearable. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE or who knows of someone who has a lawsuit filed against the drug manufacturer of warfarin or coumadin??? We were not aware of any foods that may cause havac while taking this drug. These drug companies need to be honest and give us all the side effects and whatever information about their drug to the public. WE HAVE less than 2 weeks to file a lawsuit. My Mother turned 65 one day before her spinal bleed, leading to her paralisis.

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    Wow that's just what happened to me. It's rare I come across someone with the same cause of injury.
    I had a spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma. No cause was found for mine.
    You've had a lot more recovery than me. I still can't move a muscle below my injury.