Thread: External drive recommendation

Blog Entries

External drive recommendation

Please, can someone just tell me what the buy that just will work. I need to plug into a USB and have it always just be there, be able to back up to it without torment. My current one if not recognized half the time, now even when I unplug and replug it.

I recently bought a Sea Gate tera byte at Costco for around $90. It is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. It is easy to use, just like a geek stick.
    good luck

Costco or Sam's Club Has what you need

For around $90, you should be able to purchase a 1TB (1000GB) external hard drive that connects via USB. I comes with software to handle the backups and restores. Well worth the money.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, but I don't belong to Costco or Sam's. Any idea what I can order?

Bluff, I'd love to hear more about life in Kenia. Some years back I had a great sea kayaking trip in the Fjords, and some delectable salmon on the cookstove on the Homer Spit. Do you ever get up to Denali? We were quite amused when it snowed on us there in August. I am envious of your back yard.

Might you start a sightseeing thread for us in the travel forum?

Sign up for newegg eblast deals. Can be dangerous to your wallet though. Sometimes the prices too good to pass up. Unfortunately no external drive deals this weekend.

first, what ports do you have on your computer? usb 1.1, usb 2, or usb3.0, you're reconize the usb 3.0 because they're usually blue
    i added usb 3.0 (for speed) to all my computers.
    second, most usb devices are backward compatible, so If you buy a usb 2.0 device it usually works on 1.1, usb3.0 backwards compatible to 2.0.
    most computers does not even come with 1.1 anymore, but some older computers might still have a port here or there.

I got a 3.0tb western Digital external for main backups, but just it every few weeks, I back up daily (my computers and moms) on my usb 3.0 thumbdrives (128gb)

After buying my wd 3.0tb usb3.0 drive for backups, i moved my WD 2.0 2tb to my satelitte dvr so i can offload movies, etc to it. it's plugged in all the time.

i use a omega usb2 1tb for bs stuff at work, it's very slow, i also use a seagate 300gb usb2.0 external, it's old and causes blue screens now and then at work (windows)

Most my external WD drives are the WD mybooks, and they work great

If not sure on your ports, grab a USB 2.0 drive, I would recommend the Western Digital (WD) ones, the size depends on how much you want to backup.

I think I watched amazon and got the 3TB WD 3.0 for 160
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Please, can someone just tell me what the buy that just will work. I need to plug into a USB and have it always just be there, be able to back up to it without torment. My current one if not recognized half the time, now even when I unplug and replug it.
    you may have a USB device problem if it is not recognizing your external drive, you might want to check your device manager USB ports to see if there is a conflict, if the problem of not recogniizing port happens after coming out of sleep mode you might want to check your power options