Thread: Worried-How to prevent Pressure Sore

Worried-How to prevent Pressure Sore

Has anyone tried to prevent a pressure sore on their hip...Husband has HO in left hip...this means sleeping just for a couple of hours and bowel program both cause very pink area (50 cent piece size)...every night. If I massage it for about 5 minutes it almost completely goes away...
    when he gets in bed at night it is pink...when he turns it is the pinkest and after several hours on his right side it is barely pink (dime sized)I am worried it is going to cause a pressure sore...Is there anything we can do to prevent this?

Does anyone have an idea for elevating that small area at night...while he is on his left side? I am worried...any suggestions would be appreciated....

As always...thanks

Don't massage red areas! This will actually make them worse.

Are you talking about his trochanter? If so, research shows that when turned to the side in bed, the pelvis should not be tilted more than 30 degrees. This means that the top leg also needs to be back, rather than forward.

What type of mattress is he sleeping on? This makes a big difference.

(KLD)

I guess it is the trochanter...the Dr who diagnosed HO last week said it was extra bone in his muscle...We went to the Dr because of the pink spot and I could feel a slight protrusion on that side..like there is less meat or padding on that side.
    Thanks for the message about rubbing the area...I was thinking the light rubbing would increase circulation...ugh
    He has been dieting the last two months an has lost 7 lbs...he is drinking protein shakes for meal replacements and taking 5000iu of VIt D because his level were low.

Would either of these contribute to the development of the HO? Should we back off...the weight loss was intended to make it easier on his joints not this..

We sleep on a sleep number bed...have been for 6-7 years...pretty diligent about watching the number and keeping it consistent.

Is he being treated with medication for the HO? Getting aggressive range of motion (ROM) to that hip daily?

I am not a big fan of Sleep Number beds. You may need to look at better pressure reducing surface, such as a low air loss mattress, or a good quality overlay like those made by Roho. It is possible for some people to bridge the trochanter when side lying, by using blocks of foam to support the trunk and the legs, but for many this just allows you to slump uncomfortably into that area.

How quickly does the pink spot fade? Does it blanche when you press on it??

(KLD)

Can he avoid sleeping on the left side? Overnight... go back and forth from flat on the back to turn to the right side... or even some tummy time.

Also agree with KLD that he should at a minimum modify his position if he is on the left side so it is a "soft" turn.... not completely vertical.

I have vulnerable hips and last year a hospitalization aggravated an old wound on my sacrum. I do not dare lay on it for any significant time and cannot sleep on my abdomen because of a urostomy. I bit the bullet and switched to a low air loss mattress. It protects my hips very well but I miss having my wife at my side.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is he being treated with medication for the HO? Getting aggressive range of motion (ROM) to that hip daily?

I am not a big fan of Sleep Number beds. You may need to look at better pressure reducing surface, such as a low air loss mattress, or a good quality overlay like those made by Roho. It is possible for some people to bridge the trochanter when side lying, by using blocks of foam to support the trunk and the legs, but for many this just allows you to slump uncomfortably into that area.

How quickly does the pink spot fade? Does it blanche when you press on it??

(KLD)
    No medication prescribed for HO as the Dr told me the meds prevent it but do not reduce already existing bone...
    ROM yes...he does aggressive work outs for 3 hours a day three days a week including an FES bike at a gym he goes to...
    The spot fades 5 minutes when he transfers from WC to bed...however, if he sleeps on left side for 3 hours and then turns for 4 hours...it mostly fades but a dime size pink spot remains...yes it blanches...I would massage the area until it faded up until today...which I will no longer be doing! So I will see how quickly it fades tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Can he avoid sleeping on the left side? Overnight... go back and forth from flat on the back to turn to the right side... or even some tummy time.

Also agree with KLD that he should at a minimum modify his position if he is on the left side so it is a "soft" turn.... not completely vertical.
    We tried on his back and stomach..he had spasms the entire time in both positions...legs kicking the whole time...we can modify his position..straighten legs out while on his side after we finish BP...thanks will give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have vulnerable hips and last year a hospitalization aggravated an old wound on my sacrum. I do not dare lay on it for any significant time and cannot sleep on my abdomen because of a urostomy. I bit the bullet and switched to a low air loss mattress. It protects my hips very well but I miss having my wife at my side.
    What exactly is a low air mattress...where did you get it?

Thanks to all of you for responses...We are trying to do all the right things and sometimes I just feel like we take two steps forward and three steps back...

Appreciate the advice

Low air mattresses are a medical type mattress. They are expensive, but often worth it. There are many brands out there: KCI, Hill-ROM, Invacare, Joerns, etc. A full LAL mattress would be much better than an overlay, or an alternating pressure overlay, which are pretty much worthless.

What kind of doctor told you this about HO? Medication can help prevent the HO continuing to progress, and helps the bone get to maturity (stop growing) better. The most common used is Didronel, although some also use Indocin.

http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=21485

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/322003-overview

http://www.scireproject.com/rehabili...c-ossification

(KLD)