Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Blood pressure sitting up-33 days post

He does wear the hose, and the binder when he gets up to do PT... Doesn't seem to help. He also gets into the 70's sometimes while sleeping lately. They are talking of medications, though not given any yet. So frustrating. Maybe we just need some meds for awhile until it works itself out. They haven't done the tilt table yet.

I am a C-7 complete quad and have had this post injury for more than 57 years. I learned to manage it.

Make sure he is hydrated.
    He should not eat before sitting up. The digestive process uses much blood.
    A binder can help some. Compression hose do little unless they are waist high.
    Check his medications. Some can lower the pressure.
    A cool environment can help.
    His blood pressure may drop some after his bowels are evacuated.
    Even a low level wound infection may contribute to the problem.
    Bending forward with the head at knee level can boost the blood to his brain.
    Both physical and mental stress may aggravate the problem.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Just to say, in case someone comes across the thread in the future... We're 53 days post. Things seem to be improving. He doesn't wear the ace wraps anymore while in PT, and we aren't having many problems anymore. He still looks a bit pale at times but a definite improvement

I know it sounds tough but it takes quite a while for a body to adjust to SCI. I had low blood pressure problems after my injury for several months but things stabilized. Many years after my injury I still have low bp issues.

I kept getting dizzy when sitting in the chair for about 3 months or more. And I used an abdominal binder for like a year.

Spoke too soon, as soon as they took the salt tabs away, we're back to having major issues with BP. They want to wait for his blood test to come back before they start salt again. I'm trying to figure out if the salt tabs are safer than the midodrine- any thoughts on that?

It was nearly 3 months before I could sit completely upright in my chair. And that was with an abdominal binder, compression stockings, and ACE wraps. It was probably a year before I could sit-up without those items.

I've never tried salt tabs or midodrine, and 85/50 is a common BP for me, but I think my body has adjusted because I rarely get dizzy. I can go all-the-way up on a tilt table in 3-4 jumps (waiting a couple minutes in-between).

God bless.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Checkout the below CareCure thread about a new way to bowl!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87066

where is he?

He's at HealthSouth of Erie... They put him on midodrine as of today. I hear it works pretty good, though he's getting goosebumps all day today like he has AD (no headache though) . His BP was 129 which is unheard of for him . I do worry about him having too high of BP when he's lying down on this medicine. That wasn't a problem with the salt tabs, and he was still able to get up and do PT with no major problems and without his ace wraps on. Why not just take salt tabs instead? Anyone have anything to say about either of these methods? I am trying to wean down and adjust his medications based on safety. They have him on like a jillion meds.

abdominal binders are very helpful. after acute rehab I try to get my patients weaned off of the midodrine eventually and switch over to pseudofed to take 30 minutes in the morning before getting up out of bed. if you are still in rehab, take it one day at a time. Transition to home from rehab can be challenging, one day at a time.

pbr