Thread: Knocking sound from wheelchair

Unhappy Knocking sound from wheelchair

Hey guys, so here's my problem. OK, so ive been a wheelchair user for the last 3 years and so far i've not really had any problems with my wheelchair, however the other day my chair started making a strange knocking sound whenever i was on it. If i hold the frame i can feel it ever so slightly juddering. It seems to be more on the right hand side. At first i thought a stone may have been stuck in the tyres but no. Then i thought it may be the bearings so i took the castors off but the bearings seemed fine (all wheels spun freely without any gritty noise). The noise only occurs when i am on the chair so im pretty sure my weight is causing it. Im also convinced that if i buy new castors the noise will stop however i wanted to make sure that it is the castors before i fork out £100+ for new ones. This problem is really doing my head in. Its not affecting the performance in any way but its really irritating. I just want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to this and how they sorted it, any help would be greatly appreciated. My wheelchair is a Quickie GPV and i have never replaced the castors since i have been in the chair, (is this foolish?) PLEASE HELP!!
    PS if anyone could send me a link to where i could purchase new castors that would also be a great help!
    Thanks again

If you are not seating in the wheelchair and you spin your rear wheels there isn`t any noise?

When one of my spoke protectors gets a little loose, it makes a knocking sound. Do you use spoke protectors?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Check the back for loose bolts. Pop the seals out of the bearings and stuff some grease in them.

sportaid.com, spinlife.com, bike-on.com are good for wheelchairs and parts. Hope you get it figured out! I'm sure the experts here can help.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

check that your spokes are tight
    they will loosen up and the wheels will make noises whilst in the chair