Thread: Chinese doctor uses fetal cells to treat paralysis in controversial treatment

Chinese doctor uses fetal cells to treat paralysis in controversial treatment

Chinese doctor uses fetal cells to treat paralysis in controversial treatment

BY TIM JOHNSON

Knight Ridder Newspapers

BEIJING - (KRT) - Strolling briskly through the dim halls of Chaoyang Hospital, neurosurgeon Huang Hongyun says his pioneering medical work using fetal cells to treat paralysis and other nervous system ailments is swamping him with attention.

The cell phone jangles. Lecture invitations mount. E-mails pour in from around the world.

Huang is causing a stir in medical circles. Many U.S. scientists and researchers have qualms about what he's doing. But hundreds of families of paraplegics from the United States, Japan, Singapore and elsewhere are lining up to bring loved ones to Beijing for an experimental operation that may be able to help patients sit up by themselves. Or hold a cup. Or button a shirt. Or sweat below their necks.

Huang is one of a handful of researchers around the world shattering the centuries-old idea that paralysis is irreversible.

While the Bush administration sharply limits research into embryonic stem cell and fetal tissue, citing moral and ethical considerations, nations such as China are aggressively delving into such research.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...ld/8862690.htm

Pink Bubbles.

Thanks Max. Very positive article for Dr. Huang, I'm glad more researchers are taking notice. It's interesting that the Miami Project has requested his input regarding a clinical trials system yet equate those going to China to McQueen going to Mexico for a dose of apricots. I know Dr. Green's point is to urge patience but it's a poor choice for an analogy and a disservice to Dr. Huang.

"Before, I had no sensation in my arms from my armpits down. I now have sensation in both arms down to my hands," said Leo Per Hallan, a South Dakota man who underwent the experimental surgery in Beijing in April.
    Leo, did you post an update about that, don't remember seeing it but sounds like you're benefitting, WTG!

seneca, I talked to Leo at the Cure. He will probably talk about it here himself but he has had return of sensation in his hands. I am quite impressed that he can feel light touch in his thumbs and fingers after over 25 years. Tim Casey similarly reported in his talk at pre-rally Open House that he has gotten more sensation and ability to use his fingers to pick grapes and other small items up with his hands.

Wise.

Paralysis surgeon stirs hope in China

Paralysis surgeon stirs hope in China

BY TIM JOHNSON

Knight Ridder News Service

MEDICINE

Paralyzed patients are flocking to a Chinese surgeon who uses fetal cells to treat spinal cord injuries. But some doctors are unsure of the procedure.

DR. HUANG HONGYUN,

neurosurgeon

BEIJING -- Strolling briskly through the dim halls of Chaoyang Hospital, neurosurgeon Huang Hongyun says his pioneering medical work using fetal cells to treat paralysis and other nervous system ailments is swamping him with attention.

The cellphone jangles. Lecture invitations mount. E-mails pour in from around the world.

Huang is causing a stir in medical circles. Many U.S. scientists and researchers have qualms about what he's doing. But hundreds of families of paraplegics from the United States, Japan, Singapore and elsewhere are lining up to bring loved ones to Beijing for an experimental operation that may be able to help patients sit up by themselves. Or hold a cup. Or button a shirt. Or sweat below their necks.

Huang is one of a handful of researchers around the world shattering the centuries-old idea that paralysis is irreversible.

While the Bush administration sharply limits research into embryonic stem cell and fetal tissue, citing moral and ethical considerations, nations such as China are aggressively delving into such research.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...8894537.htm?1c

Huang, who said he hopes to work with The Miami Project to design clinical trials, perhaps later this year, beamed as he showed videos of some of his patients from before and after their surgeries.

It was great meeting Dr. Huang at the Rally. A very nice and polite man. He surely deserves the recognition.

Regards,
    Sue

PARALYSIS pioneer

PARALYSIS pioneer
    Pioneer Press (Subscription) - St. Paul,MN,USA
    ... Dr. Barth Green, one of the leading US spinal cord injury experts,
    said desperation sometimes leads US patients to "discard good medical
    advice and common sense ...
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...on/8904517.htm