Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping pressure off wound while seated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keeping pressure off wound while seated

I have a pressure sore right between my scrotum and anus caused by a firm bandage placed over an abbrasion. Now I have a wound vac on it and my wound care doctor says to stay completely off of it, in bed for 3 weeks at least. since he is already proved himself to be a dumb ass, does anyone here know of a special coushion or other way that I can still be in my chair while keeping pressure off of this area? I've never had any trouble at all with my butt bones, until now my big ass has been bullet proof. Previously I had pressure ulcers on the bottom of my heels, which would not go away until on my own I found shoes with cutaway insoles. They went away practically over night once I put those on. I'm hoping I can do something similar with my butt.

c6 12 years post
    Death and taxes

Do the time or regret it later. I'm sorry - you need to let that wound vac work and it will if you cooperate and invest the time now. I wish it was better news.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

No, there is no way to safely sit on an ischial pressure ulcer, regardless of the treatment being used; in fact the sponge and NPWT treatment can actually cause increased pressure on the wound if you should sit with them in place. Sounds like the doctor knows what he is talking about in this case.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, there is no way to safely sit on an ischial pressure ulcer

(KLD)
    It's not ischial, it's perineal.
    Death and taxes

I had one there 4 yrs ago and it took 2 months to fully heal...stay off it. When i did need to get up for the normal daily care and just a change of scenery I would sit on an inflatable cushion used for hernia's a mentioned in another post. The other thing I did which was helpful was taking a roho cushion and taping the valves in the area of the wound down so they didn't inflate thus putting little to no pressure on the wound area

Again I was using these techniques to simply move around the house to do a few things...you need to stay off it as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang3 View Post
    The other thing I did which was helpful was taking a roho cushion and taping the valves in the area of the wound down so they didn't inflate thus putting little to no pressure on the wound area.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, but I don't have a roho. Even being in my chair for 1 hour per day would make a world of difference.
    Death and taxes

What about coushions designed too relieve pressure after hernias? Like those doughnuts cushions et cetera?

Laying in bed constantly on my sides really hurts my shoulders very badly. Should I not get up at all even for a little bit? Do I really need to be on my sides relieving 100 percent of the pressure all the yime, or is laying on my back with very little pressure okay?
    Death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Cspine View Post
    What about coushions designed too relieve pressure after hernias? Like those doughnuts cushions et cetera?

Laying in bed constantly on my sides really hurts my shoulders very badly. Should I not get up at all even for a little bit? Do I really need to be on my sides relieving 100 percent of the pressure all the yime, or is laying on my back with very little pressure okay?
    I laid on my back with a 1/2 inch profile roho (I also have a 1/2 gel cushion) just tucked under my coccyx and it lifted the area up enough to remove all presure from my back side. Bend your knees up spread your legs and your good to go. I regularly sleep that way now. If my feet are swollen from a long day I sleep with a few pillows under my legs to keep the swelling down but still with the cushion under my coccyx. My shoulders also get sore when I lie on my side...the constant inward rotation is not pleasant but you do need to change the pressure points when you're laid up in bed...the cushion under my coccyx just allowed me to switch things up a bit...easy to watch TV in that position as well.

Donut cushions are dangerous. They can make any pressure ulcer worse, as sitting on one actually excludes all superficial blood vessel blood flow to the area.

Since you bear weight on the perineum when sitting too, no, there is no way to safely sit on a pressure ulcer in that area. Even the trochanter may be a problem for some people depending on their sitting posture.

(KLD)

Listen to your doctor. I am currently dealing with this issue as well. I started out with 3 large, deep sores on my butt, which quickly morphed into one large, deep wound. I saw my doc 2 weeks ago and she wanted me on 24/7 bed rest. I live alone, so this is not possible for me, but I stayed off the area as much as I could, as she felt I was quickly on the path to needing surgery. I went to see her yesterday, at the 2 week mark, and am down to two shallow, well defined, significantly smaller sores. It's not fun, and I still have to stay out of my chair more than I'd like until the wounds have healed, but it's worth it. I was told that once you have surgery, the tissue is never quite the same, and you will be more prone to developing sores in that area. I am also using a Roho cushion and slide board now, and have increased my protein intake, all of which I believe are contributing positively to the healing process. Be good to your body and it will show its appreciation.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank