Thread: Probiotic for long-term use

Probiotic for long-term use

What probiotic is best for long-term use with antibiotics?

I had been using Pearl probiotics, but a doctor prescribed Floranex. However, Floranex apparently only contains two kinds of bacteria in it. One of probiotic threads on this forum said one should get a probiotic that contained as many strains of bacteria as possible.

you should take at least 6 different types of probiotics. i use nature's way primadophilus optima. it has 14 strains and works great when i am on antibiotics
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Whichever product you select, be certain to follow the manufacturer's instructions about storing the probiotics. It makes no sense to spend money on a great product like the one CrypticGimp uses if you don't keep it refrigerated, which is what keeps all those different strains and active cultures alive.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

So Activia yogurt isn't enough?

the cultures in yogurt are pretty much dead and not at the levels you need for good colonization.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    you should take at least 6 different types of probiotics. i use nature's way primadophilus optima. it has 14 strains and works great when i am on antibiotics
    Thanks. I've been trying the Primadophilus Optima for the last several weeks and so far it works better than the Pearl.

i've had good success with bio-k and goodbelly........i'm pleasantly regular.

My doctor recommended Allign as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I've been trying the Primadophilus Optima for the last several weeks and so far it works better than the Pearl.
    For the sake of Google searchers, I'm updating this old thread to mention that the Primadophilus Optima stopped working for me after a while. I've had much better results with Garden of Life Ultra. (To be fair, I'm also taking Align with that, but I think it is the Garden of Life that is causing the benefit, because I did not notice improvement until I started the Garden of Life. I am staying on the Align because the doctor said to take Align, but Align alone did not help).