Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ahhhh! Someone please talk some sense into me.

Sorry this is off-topic WG. You cracked me up w/ "I broke my thread".

WheelieG, you got excellent advice from both Lynnifer and CG.

To expand upon interview dos and dont's, refrain for telling future or prospective employers your current salary. Your worth to any potential employer is not based upon your current pay. Giving an existing salary can work to your detriment because you may receive a low ball number for proposed starting salary. If pushed on your existing salary, firmly state the salary range you would accept, keeping in mind the lower number of that range is likely the highest you will receive to start.

If you are told you will receive a specific percentage of increase after a specific time period of starting the job, get it in writing before yo begin working for the employer.

Ask if the company pays for additional education related to your work. It can be a great benefit.

If you will need to relocate for the position, ask for relocation costs.

Ask why the last person left the job for which you are applying. If this is a new position in the company, ask how you will be evaluated on performance and know who will do the evals.

Do your homework on the company pre interview. Learn its strengths and weaknesses, areas of growth, largest competitors, size, names of top executives and how they came to the business (a competitor, started the biz, etc.) Know basic company history.

Think of questions you have about the company and the position for which you are interviewing. Prospective employers appreciate interviewees who are interested in the company and aware of it.

If you don't get the job, keep in touch with the company as you never know when you may be a perfect fit for the next opening. It could even be a better gig!

Good luck!

Good luck!
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 08-03-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    WheelieG, you got excellent advice from both Lynnifer and CG.

To expand upon interview dos and dont's, refrain for telling future or prospective employers your current salary. Your worth to any potential employer is not based upon your current pay. Giving an existing salary can work to your detriment because you may receive a low ball number for proposed starting salary. If pushed on your existing salary, firmly state the salary range you would accept, keeping in mind the lower number of that range is likely the highest you will receive to start.

If you are told you will receive a specific percentage of increase after a specific time period of starting the job, get it in writing before yo begin working for the employer.

Ask if the company pays for additional education related to your work. It can be a great benefit.

If you will need to relocate for the position, ask for relocation costs.

Ask why the last person left the job for which you are applying. If this is a new position in the company, ask how you will be evaluated on performance and know who will do the evals.

Do your homework on the company pre interview. Learn its strengths and weaknesses, areas of growth, largest competitors, size, names of top executives and how they came to the business (a competitor, started the biz, etc.) Know basic company history.

Think of questions you have about the company and the position for which you are interviewing. Prospective employers appreciate interviewees who are interested in the company and aware of it.

If you don't get the job, keep in touch with the company as you never know when you may be a perfect fit for the next opening. It could even be a better gig!

Good luck!
    Wow! Thanks for the very detailed and informative response

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the very detailed and informative response
    No worries. I worked for decades and learned from my mistakes as well as good choices. If you feel you made an error or less than the best choice, you generally don't get do overs, but you can always remember it and know better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    OK. So I ended up staying at my job. Then, my old boss came back. Right on. If it weren't for that, there's no way I could've stayed long term. A job interview opportunity came up and I turned it down (I really wasn't interested and was extremely happy with my job at the time). Now, I have had the opportunity to go to another interview. I scheduled it for tomorrow but ended up cancelling it (I thought that would be the courteous thing to do, rather than just not show up. Here's my problem, I feel like a jerk for cancelling the interview and I don't want to screw over places of future employment.
    so the boss that i teased you about is back? o_O
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    so the boss that i teased you about is back? o_O

..... Yes. lol. Don't make me regret telling you that :P