Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ahhhh! Someone please talk some sense into me.

Ahhhh! Someone please talk some sense into me.

OK. So I ended up staying at my job. Then, my old boss came back. Right on. If it weren't for that, there's no way I could've stayed long term. A job interview opportunity came up and I turned it down (I really wasn't interested and was extremely happy with my job at the time). Now, I have had the opportunity to go to another interview. I scheduled it for tomorrow but ended up cancelling it (I thought that would be the courteous thing to do, rather than just not show up. Here's my problem, I feel like a jerk for cancelling the interview and I don't want to screw over places of future employment.
    Last edited by Obieone; 08-02-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fixed at the request of OP.

Yikes ... advice for future: Never turn down an interview or potential offer. You can always turn them down later (have done that more than once).

Just say you received a better offer elsewhere, afterwards. I once applied to work in our court system (had 3 interviews that day within an hour's driving distance) and I was giddy because I knew I *had* this other job before this particular interview (for court) ... couldn't contain myself in saying that I had myself another job that afternoon. I believe that's the only time I never received a call back.

I wouldn't call them back now though if I were you ... lesson learned.

Loyalty is rare in this day and age as well ... it does look good on a resume (at least I think so).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

x2 on what lynnifer said!

I would add to 'never burn bridges,' though I'm not saying that's what has occurred here. Word travels in the strangest of ways.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I would add to 'never burn bridges,' though I'm not saying that's what has occurred here. Word travels in the strangest of ways.
    Very true. I was also quite interested in the job... it's just, fear of everything I guess. Just the fact that I also thought it being part time, I might be able to do both but that isn't the case. So because I couldn't do both, it just didn't fit, I guess.
    Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 08-02-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I broke my post
    lmao. I'm glad I read it earlier. And what have we been telling others about editing? Boo.

Seriously WG you amaze us all. Keep doing what you are doing, working is game and you are winning.

Sorry for the remark about you editting you post, when you have sense made it clear that it was by accident. Anyone can make that mistake and I am glad you were able to have it fixed. On another note, you have been given good advice. Best wishes to you.
    Last edited by faith9778; 08-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.

ah wheeliegirl, you seriously are a breath of fresh air! seems like lynnifer has given you great advice and i concur. always go to the interview if offered.

and write a thank you note afterwards and mail it to the interviewer.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    ah wheeliegirl, you seriously are a breath of fresh air! seems like lynnifer has given you great advice and i concur. always go to the interview if offered.

and write a thank you note afterwards and mail it to the interviewer.
    That sounds like a good idea.... In all honesty and call me a liar if you wish I did mean to add details to it following up.... If someone wants to put the OP go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    That sounds like a good idea.... In all honesty and call me a liar if you wish I did mean to add details to it following up.... If someone wants to put the OP go for it.
    ppl are gonna be jerks and treat others like crap even if they make a genuine mistake.

it is ALWAYS a good idea to write a handwritten thank you note to the interviewer. it makes you stand out and shows that you care and are serious about getting a job.

you are a great young lady with such a good head on your shoulders! you're definitely an asset to any workplace you join!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/