Thread: Red spots on butt

Red spots on butt

I have two hot pink spots that blanch, but don't go away for over an hour after I get out of my chair for the day, but they do go away. I am religious about doing 30 second complete pressure releases by lifting up every 15 minutes. Should I keep doing what I'm doing and keep an eye on the spots? Or do I alter my routine? I often have be in my chair for 10 hours, and I really don't want to get a pressure sore for obvious reasons. I'm on a ROHO hybrid, as the regular ROHO was too squishy and I had a hard time transferring on and off it.
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

It sounds like you have a "pre-ulcer" cooking on your ischiums. These are areas that are still blanching but take more than 20 minutes to fade. They are a warning that with continued pressure, a true pressure ulcer could develop. You really need to limit your sitting, do more weight shifts, and most importantly, get another cushion/seating evaluation done. Continuing to sit 10 hours daily with areas like this is asking for trouble.

(KLD)

I'm trying to figure this all out ASAP because I'm going on vacation next Friday. I know you can't make specific recommendations because you have not seen my butt, but how many hours max should I be up, and how frequently should I be doing weight shifts?

Thanks!

I would recommend not sitting for more than 2 hours at a time right now, with at least an hour between (only if the areas have completely faded), and you should be checking your skin after every sitting, as well as AM and PM.

(KLD)

Keep doing the pressure releases you're doing, same amount everything. But add some different kinds in there too. Maybe lean forward over a desk or table as far as you can. Just do more & different also. See if that helps. Also I was told to do 2 minute pressure releases.

Blah. So my Roho Hybrid wasn't inflated enough, but once I inflated it with 1 inch between my butt and the bottom I'm still getting red spots after 1.5 hours, but they do blanch and go away within 10 minutes. I've been too freaked out to sit longer than that. I've also been trying out my Roho Quadtro and I'm still having issues with that. I have a seating appointment on Tuesday. I'm only getting out of bed to ride my FES bike and stand in my stander. I realized my boyfriend wasn't placing my glut electrodes properly, so hopefully now that he's placing them better I will build some muscle over my ischial tuberosities.

Is it okay to have redness as long as it fades within 20 minutes? I'm also freaking out that no cushion will be good for my extremely bony butt! Even with religious weight shifts and wiggling I'm still turning temporarily red...ahhhh! Is a butt ever too bony for all cushions out there?

I'm going to be fitted for a ride designs cushion once insurance approves it. In the meantime I'm using my Roho hybrid. After several hours I get a thumb-sized red spot on one ischial that disappears after 2 minutes. This should be fine temporarily, right?

Can you do weight releases every 10 minutes for 2 minutes?
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Can you do weight releases every 10 minutes for 2 minutes?
    CWO
    I do them every 15 minutes.

I have myself entirely freaked out about pressure ulcers. How do sores progress to Stage III and IV? I'm so terrified of that happening. I've sent a private message to the nurses of a slightly discolored/darker spot on my right IT that blanches but hasn't faded. It's hardly noticeable, but when I point it out others can see it. It looks nothing like the DTI or stage I pictures I've seen online, but I don't like it... I sent it to my doctor and he doesn't seem too concerned, but the picture I took isn't great. The skin over it feels a teeny bit bumpy or dry.