Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jakeyboy1, SCI_OTR others: Quickie S646 SE, Permobile C350, and Invacare Torque Sp.

Jakeyboy1, SCI_OTR others: Quickie S646 SE, Permobile C350, and Invacare Torque Sp.

Greetings,

I’m in the market for a new chair. I am a C3/4 complete and use a chine-controlled mini-joystick. I use tilt-in-space only. I was evaluated yesterday for a new chair. The chairs I was considering: Quickie S646 SE, Permobile C350, and Invacare Torque Sp.

The DME and PT were steering my away from the Quickie for reliability, and because their focus is on manual chairs. Whether these arguements are valid or not I do not know. Seems like all makes have their issues. The one issue I have is the anti-tip wheels always being in contact with the ground. What is your opinion of these 3 chairs?

Can someone tell me the difference between Invacare’s Torque Sp and Arrow Strom? I hate giving Invacare more business after all the problems I have had with my current chair, but I do like my current setup.

Gearless/brushless or 4 pole. What's the difference? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

i have the 3g Arrow Storm Series i've been using since 2008 and haven't had any issues that weren't self inflicted. i have the gearlesss brushless motors. they have a faster top end speed and are much more quiet, but have less low end torque for climbing the really steep hills and moving heavy furniture. the arrow is the GT version on the torque.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I would get the Permobil if I could. The other two are good options also.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I would get the Permobil if I could. The other two are good options also.
    Ditto. I have the C500 and while it's a tough chair, I would like it a lot more if it was rear-wheel drive, C350. Overall, as hard as I am on chairs with all of my outdoor exploits, it's held up to my abuse pretty well.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I can comment on the Quickie. First, my Quickie powerchairs have been the most reliable powerchairs I've ever had. No failures. The person who gave you the idea that Quickie powerchairs shouldn't be considered because the company concentrates on manual chairs has no idea what they're talking about in my opinion. That's a weird thing to say. On the anti-tips always being in contact, yeah that drove me crazy. Besides being noisey it was painful for me when the anti-tips would come over something and bang forward. It would jerk me and that hurt.

Hopefully others have info on the other chairs.

i've had the quickie p200 and p222. both were very well built and had exceptional power. like moving pianos and sofas power. and i pushed my van one time too. but really a noisey ride, forget about sneaking up on people cuz you sound like a freight train coming down the track. and the anti tippers are a piss poor design made out of plastic. i've broken and replaced them at least 4 times.

Since you put my name in the title..... you are asking for my opinion.....

First let me answer your question: Torque Sp verses Arrow. Exact same frame, different motors. Arrow has Gearless brushless, Torque has 4-pole motors. The difference is about 2-3 thousand dollars. If you can pay the difference or get the GB approved, go with the GB's.

(again, you asked my opinion, so here it is) In my shop we have a saying "Quickie makes power??"

Regarding Permobile: They make great chairs. My only negative comment on them; they are harder to deal with from a service techs perspective. Meaning, getting parts and getting them at a reasonable price is not always easy.

In my shop, we stock Invacare parts. I recommend Invacare because that is what I am very comfortable with and we stock their parts.

If you are going with a chin control. You should look at and try the new "ASL134" compact joystick from ASL. It is much easier to operate then the standard compact joystick and ten times more durable then the mini joystick.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I had a look inside a Permobil the other day. Now my chair has all the bells and whistles on it but that is one complicated mother. A new noise showed up yesterday and it may have a smell to it outside today, hope it holds up.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Jakeyboy1,

I like the idea of having the switch on the joystick, but it doesn't look like it would be too comfortable driving all day. I have used the ASL 131 for years and really like the size and short throw.

I finally hacked my Invacare TDX-SP tilit-in-space. On my Quickie S626 I could change the seat angle anytime and while moving. That is the only reasonable way I can think the system should work. Anyhow, the tilt-in-space on the Invacare won't let you adjust your angle while moving which is very frustrating but also once you have reached a degree of angle, it cuts out your ability to move the chair. I found the sensor and moved it from the seat to the base. Now at least if I am tilted way back I can still move. Haven't figured out how to change angle while moving yet but new chair (if it comes) may be a chance to figure that out too, if it's even possible. Quickie had such a better system! This damn thing won't even tell you if you are about to go up or down when you hit the switch. So stupid.

Still, I am hoping very much and waiting to hear about whether my new TDX-SP is being approved. Current one has had broken right motor for 2 years and I can't go anywhere with it. A chair that works will be like a lottery prize. Oh I hope they don't only offer me a Pronto if they offer me anything at all. The fight goes on but I will win it, I know I will. They don't know what peristance is!