Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm totally fucked

I'm totally fucked

I went to my pain management appointment this morning. When I was checking in I was informed my Dr had left the practice. When I asked where he went they said he was no longer practicing at all. They will be mailing one months of med scripts to my pharmacy and then I'm on my own. I LOVED this dr. I've only been seeing him a year, and he was the first good pain dr I've seen period and the only one familiar with my condition. I waited 6 months to get in to see him in the beginning, 6 months of hell as my pcp then first referred me to a clinic that didn't do meds and then made me wait for him but only writing 2 weeks of meds at a time. My pain was already completely out of control and I was bedridden but calling and crying ever 2 weeks begging for another refill, reminding her I was waiting for the dr SHE referred me to!

At least I'm no longer with that primary care dr. I called mine and left a message with the nurse about what's going on. I'm also going to call my geneticist and see how long the wait is for an appt, and ask for a recommendation on a new pain dr. I need to see my geneticist about something anyway, and if I can get in within a month maybe he will give me another months meds.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

In addition to the proactive steps you are planning to take, I would try to contact this pain management doctor whom you love and find out what's really going on...the clinic might not be giving you the whole story. He might just be downsizing his practice at a new location, and will continue seeing a few patients...or he might be moving to another practice altogether (despite what you've been told)...or he might be able to refer you to someone who'll work with you. You'd think he'd have sent notifications to his established patients before disappearing. Hope you can track him down and get some direction, at least!

I don't have any way to contact him, they don't have any forwarding info since he's stopping practicing and not just transferring practices. He was with the university hospital, and even to contact him there you couldn't go directly and had to go through the answering service that schedules appointments and takes messages. It was all unexpected, he just up and left with no notice. He was an older Dr, but something bizarre had to happen for him to just suddenly retire with no notice.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

That happened here a gp just up and quit practicing. The reason everyone his patients were giving were he was retiring. But the truth was he lost his license due to giving out unnecessary pain mess. Might be something similar.

I thought there were regulations regarding 'abandonment of care' for providers i.e. they are required to hand you off to another provider, or refer you, etc. They can't just kick you to the curb. ?!?!?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

check if he has handed over his patient files another doctor and take it from there.

I'm pretty sure they can just kick you to the curb. Happened w/ my pcp recently. The desk kept saying "He was asked to leave".

And they screwed around for months before reluctantly setting me up with another...that doesn't believe in pain meds.

It's hard out here for a pain-pimp.

Lin, I'm so sorry this happened to you! It's a sickening feeling, I know. It happened to me. I was told by my former Dr.'s office, they did not know where or if he had relocated. To my surprise, my pharmacist found him. I was so grateful, but he moved away a few months later.

Maybe try your Pharmacist? I hope this works out for you... sending good vibes!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Oh, damn! I'm so sorry. It sucks to lose a great doctor.

Contact your state licensing board. See if he just moved his practice.

Happened to us...our favorite PCP was in practice with two other guys. When he'd had enough of their BS, he went off on his own. They kept saying he left the state.