Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to handcycling - want to offset cranks

From a bio-mechanical standpoint, opposing cranks are more efficient. However, when the cranks are also used for steering, it just doesn't work. A few individuals that ride lean-to-steer bikes use opposing cranks. That is because the cranks are fixed to the frame and not used to steer the bike. For anything with fork-steer, synchronized cranks are the way to go.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    change it for shit and giggles, it's easy to do. then you'll see exactly why.

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post

I think I'll pass... but you post made me smile! Thank you for that!

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post

I changed mine for S&G...Didn't work.

Isn't there a world class handcyclist named Albor who makes his own bikes and has custom made some for others who uses this configuration on his cranks. For a couple of years he seemed unbeatable.

I wish I wasn't so computer stupid or I would post pics, do a google search for Alejandro Albor check out his cranks. He is a double amp don't know if this makes him more able to use this configuration.

he is like 1 of 3 maybe. all top guys run cranks in synch.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I wish I wasn't so computer stupid or I would post pics, do a google search for Alejandro Albor check out his cranks. He is a double amp don't know if this makes him more able to use this configuration.

His custom made kneeler was a leansteer. I don't think he races anymore. He showed up in Augusta in 2011 and just did the TT, skipped the road race. I think that's the only race he has done since 2009. If you watch him race on youtube, you will see a lot of rotation in his torso. You would have to be an extremely low level para, or amputee to be able to take advantage of that configuration.

I could see opposing cranks working on a kneeler, but on my force R, I just rocked back and forth, it wasted a lot of energy.

I changed them just to see how it was and did not go a full mile before turning around and going back home to change them back. You will need a special tool to change them or go by a bike shop and let them do it....

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    you will see a lot of rotation in his torso. You would have to be an extremely low level para, or amputee to be able to take advantage of that configuration.
    I'm an amputee with full core strength and I ride a lean-steer. I can't imagine using an offset precisely because torso movement would cause the handcycle to go on mini zig zags. Each turn of the crank would be akin to a course correction.

A lean steer is so sensitive to torso movement and placement that even when riding straight on a graded trail or street I have to compensate for the grading by repositioning myself on the seat. If I sat right on the middle on my seat, the leansteer would turn in the direction of the grading.

So, when someone stated that "from a bio-mechanical standpoint, opposing cranks are more efficient." that may only be true in a controlled environment. If you take it out on the streets/trail where it matters, opposing cranks become a nightmare.