Thread: Help me pimp my ride... Freedom Ryder LC-1

Help me pimp my ride... Freedom Ryder LC-1

I'm ready for an upgrade to the drivetrain. Hill climbing is top priority; speed is next.

I currently have triple chainrings and a 9-speed cassette. I'm happy with my wheel and tire set up.

• Crankset - I'd like a compact dual 110 BCD (50/34) - thinking of the Q-rotor 3D, or maybe a less expensive SRAM Apex or something else
    • Chain rings - Q-rings 50/34T (Okay Pat, I'm in.)
    • Bottom Bracket - Lot of options - undecided
    • Cassette - SRAM Apex 11-32 (10 speed)
    • Chain - SRAM PC-1091 chain
    • Derailleurs, Shifters - SRAM Apex groupset
    • Cables - Yokozune, Jagwire, others?
    • Disc brakes - Avid Elixir 9 (I may do this at a later date).

Questions:

1) Did I miss anything?

2) Comments on my choices?

3) The above will cost a pretty penny. If I have to do this piecemeal, which ones should/can I do first? Since I'm moving form a triple to a compact double, and from a 9 speed to a 10 speed cassette, it seems to me that I would have to upgrade all of those components at the same time??

As always, thanks for your help.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    how old is the lc-1? a newer one has shimano xt components, which are better than what most offer and a good part already. sounds like you just need to change your cassette and try some q-rings first. not sure how well a hydraulic disc brake will work on crank arm, the cable(actually more of a brake line)is quite heavier and the fluid reservoir is with the brake lever. I have wondered how well they would work?
    when upgrading components, one needs to make sure they are compatible with the other parts(levers, cassette, and deraileurs), like if you change to a 2 chainring setup on crank, you'll have to get a 2-speed shift lever and deraileur.

if you need hill help go 3 rings. 46/34/22 q ring. no need for hydra disc just get a mech disc. it will stop on a dime. i run avid bb7
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    how old is the lc-1? a newer one has shimano xt components, which are better than what most offer and a good part already. sounds like you just need to change your cassette and try some q-rings first. not sure how well a hydraulic disc brake will work on crank arm, the cable(actually more of a brake line)is quite heavier and the fluid reservoir is with the brake lever. I have wondered how well they would work?
    when upgrading components, one needs to make sure they are compatible with the other parts(levers, cassette, and deraileurs), like if you change to a 2 chainring setup on crank, you'll have to get a 2-speed shift lever and deraileur.
    It's a couple of years old - the only XT component is the rear derailleur; the others are the one-level-lower LX components - these are really the comonents that I want to switch out.

I do have Avid disc brakes already - this may just need maintenance, not a replacement. I included it on my list as a placeholder. Yes, I understand the compatibility needs, which is why I asked #3 -- not sure if there is a way to do this piecemeal... maybe I have to do the whole thing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    if you need hill help go 3 rings. 46/34/22 q ring. no need for hydra disc just get a mech disc. it will stop on a dime. i run avid bb7
    Given a compact 50/34 crank and a 10-speed 11-32 cassette, wouldn't the 34-ring with the 32-cog on the cassette be just as efficient (if not more so) as a 3-ring setup for climbing hills? Not trying to argue -- just want to understand.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    if you want to switch to a 2 speed chainring and a 10 speed cassette, you will have to change components. You should have xt shifter/brake combo lever also if bike is only a couple years old. Xt are good components and money would be better spent on q-rings and a better chain and change 9 sp. cassette size.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    if you want to switch to a 2 speed chainring and a 10 speed cassette, you will have to change components. You should have xt shifter/brake combo lever also if bike is only a couple years old. Xt are good components and money would be better spent on q-rings and a better chain and change 9 sp. cassette size.
    Below is from the current online order form for the LC-1. My LC-1 has the same components below, except for a couple of upgrades (memory foam seat, Conti GP4000s tires), so I know I have the most current version of the LC-1.

But I hear what you're saying -- upgrading the LX components to XT, getting a new chain and the Q rings may be good enough of an upgrade.

LC-1 only - Standard Equipment:
    Shimano LX Rapid-fire shifters mounted on T-handles
    Shimano LX derailleur (top)
    Shimano XT derailleur (bottom)
    Shimano LX triple with ramped chainrings
    FSA Euro bottom bracket set
    Shimano HG 93 nine speed chain
    Avid disc brake and Cane Creek caliper brake
    Mavic 650 alloy rims with 32 hole Phil Wood hubs (rear) & Mavic 650 alloy rim on XT disc brake hub (front)
    Dual density foam seat cushions-(bottom and back)
    Safety flag
    Wide Cranks: O 22" O 24" O 26"