Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Why are we getting sent home with a power chair??

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Awesome discussion guys. This is what CareCure is all about..

    I'm sure we all tend to forget or block out what other people in chairs have to deal with in regards to environment and it's easy to assume what's good for us personally is the best for everyone. Like anban said, we all have to figure out the best for ourselves. And really doesn't that apply to everyone, disabled or not?

    Great points kulea. Muy respect for accepting your limitations. Alot of us let our ego get in the way of what's really important - live long and prosper.
    Kumbayah, tooley.

    Kumbayah.


  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Kulea,

    That has to be the longest post in CC history. Good points though.
    I would vote that it's also one of the best posts on CareCure, especially on this subject. Over the past few years I've seen so many people belittled, called lazy, more disabled, etc. for not using a manual chair or for even considering a PC. My situation mirrors Kulea's in so many ways and his post is such a welcome addition to this debate. Thank you, Kulea!

    -- David

  3. #33
    I use my manual chair at work and around the house. I have done this since my injury (2005). I use the pc for the basement and outside. I now have the enjoymnet of rotator cuff surgery to look forward to because of overuse of the arms pushing myself around the plant. Being a wheelchair hero for others got me this. Proving my 'independence' and manliness by using the manual got me shoulder surgery coming this winter. Use the damn pc and save your body.

  4. #34
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I would vote that it's also one of the best posts on CareCure, especially on this subject. Over the past few years I've seen so many people belittled, called lazy, more disabled, etc. for not using a manual chair or for even considering a PC. My situation mirrors Kulea's in so many ways and his post is such a welcome addition to this debate. Thank you, Kulea!

    -- David
    I had the opposite experience! In my first post here I prefaced that I needed advice on the manual. I stated a powerchair was not an opton at this time. But I still got a bunch of people berating me and telling me a powerchair would be better in my situation. I had made the preface because I'd already had the coversations on 2 other forums where I came to the conclusion a manual fit my needs better while some couldn't accept that. So I was wanting to prevent from going over that again but had to anyway. Here as well as at wheelchair junkie.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  5. #35
    yes great thread! i c5 and been in a powerchair all this time. i must say i always like a failure because i did not live up to my pre-injury self, 10 foot tall and bullet proof. worked on a ranch. no place for a mc in my life. 300yards to the nearest paved (gravel road). orannge groves & cow pastures. now 35 years after injury i'm working out and searcing for a cheap rigid chair to prove to -myself- i got what it takes. could not take my niece and nehew 2 miles through woods to favorite fishing hole.
    priorities. donnie

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Alot of us let our ego get in the way of what's really important - live long and prosper.
    dam straight. fact is using a pc lets your arms get weaker,. i'll be buried in a mc. freewheel is the only other option imo. heres a tidbit. in spring 2011 i tore my rotator cuff transfering in the car. doc told me if my shoulders werent so overdeveloped i'd been done. 2 weeks later i did a marathon. of course my shoulder was shot up with cortisone. found out the circular motion of the handcycle really helped. moral to the story, PUSH AS LONG AS YOU CAN. dont use a pc because its easier. and yes, anyone in a pc looks very gimpy and needy imo compared to a mc user. anyone that disagrees is full of shit. just my opinion. carry on.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I had the opposite experience! In my first post here I prefaced that I needed advice on the manual. I stated a powerchair was not an opton at this time. But I still got a bunch of people berating me and telling me a powerchair would be better in my situation. I had made the preface because I'd already had the coversations on 2 other forums where I came to the conclusion a manual fit my needs better while some couldn't accept that. So I was wanting to prevent from going over that again but had to anyway. Here as well as at wheelchair junkie.
    See above for an example of what I'm talking about...

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    589
    The desire to push is all well and fine as long as the necessary muscles will fire. If not, overcompensation with other muscle groups can lead to the lack of the ability to feed oneself or wipe your own butt. Sometimes it is not simply a matter of will or effort.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

  9. #39
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i'll be buried in a mc.

    .....

    dont use a pc because its easier. and yes, anyone in a pc looks very gimpy and needy imo compared to a mc user. anyone that disagrees is full of shit. just my opinion. carry on.
    I'm with you homie.. But if I lived somewhere with lots of hills, didn't drive, had no access to wheelchair sports, didn't own a hand cycle, I'd have accepted my fate and got a pc so I could enjoy the ride. Hopefully I'd be one of those guys who still went to the gym and looked after my body. Different strokes....

    I also fully agree with what you say about the hand cycle motion, it always makes my delts feel better because of the rotational low-strain/high reps.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    and yes, anyone in a pc looks very gimpy and needy imo compared to a mc user. anyone that disagrees is full of shit. just my opinion. carry on.
    I hate to burst your bubble but as an AB for 51 of my 53 years, most AB's don't differentiate between power and manual users - gimps (or disabled people) are gimps. But keep drinking your koolaid and spewing your disdain of pc users if it makes you feel better.
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

    "I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM
  2. Power wheels vs Power chair
    By Patrick Madsen in forum Equipment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM
  3. Free to Good Home, Ivacare Arrow Storm Power Chair in SW Ct AREA
    By Quadzila@optonline.net in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 07:18 PM
  4. Power Chair Bowling & Power Soccer Resource
    By SCI-Nurse in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
  5. power chair, standing chair, and adjustable bed
    By weichman in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •