Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why are we getting sent home with a power chair??

Why are we getting sent home with a power chair??

Hi, me again My husband is C6/7 incomplete with good use of arms (c8-T1 level) , but no motor function from torso down. We were told today that we were getting sent home in a power chair, which I found strange , since he is only about 5 days into rehab, and can already wheel himself around a bit in the manual chair. I predict that by the end of rehab he will be pretty good at it, so Why the power chair?
    I will talk to them about it , but I'm just wondering if we have any say in this when the time comes - did some of you have the power chair pushed on you when you didn't really need it? Is this standard practice?

if ur able to , take it and a manual chair. Although he may be strong enough to wheel around there will be days that he will not feel good or needs a break from wheeling. Especially if u are out and about all day or plan on going to a zoo or something. It is nice to have the option and a back up. Just MHO

Ya, if insurance is covering definately take the power chair and then get a manual chair of your choice. That is odd they are suggesting a power chair though from the sounds of things. With a manual it allows you a lot more freedom as far as transporting it in cars and that sort of thing.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

He does have a weakened grip in both hands - the right hand has some grip, the left, barely any at all . But he can still move the chair around.. Maybe the grip is the reason why.

Where is your husband in rehab? Is it a recognized spinal cord injury center? Yes, your husband has a lot to say about the kind of chair he will have when he is released from this center. Nobody knows anything about where someone will end up after only 5 days in rehab. Wheelchairs are not usually ordered until well into the process of rehab and just before release.

That said, depending on the kind of insurance/Medicare/Medicaid with which your husband presents, the rehab facility may be working to get your husband the most expensive option allowed given his level of injury so that you don't have a difficulty getting other options once he is out of rehab for a few years. With certain insurance options, your husband may have a very difficult time getting the motorized wheelchair option if it isn't prescribed in the first place during rehab. But, after just 5 days in a rehab situation, there is a lot to be learned and figured out...As they used to say 30 years ago in rehab (to my utter chagrin), "let's just problem solve this, and see where it takes us after we do an eval later on."

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    did some of you have the power chair pushed on you when you didn't really need it? Is this standard practice?
    Blah, don't get me started..... ok. I am a C7 complete but sounds like the same function as your hubby. Injured just under 3 years ago, they had me indoctrinated into the idea that I needed a power chair. I got approved, ordered it, dme received it, I never went to get it. "Recycled" it back into the gov't pool of chairs. What a waste of insurance/gov't money all because my PT/OTs get muscled by the physiatrist in the rehab hospital to put everyone in power no matter what. Blah blah, shoulders, blah blah, save your strength, blah blah. How am I going to get any strength back if I don't push a wheelchair? Lucky for me I had an awesome mentor C6 quad rugby player 20 years post injury that termed a power chair as "the kiss of death". He explained that of his 2 peers he left rehab with that went home and used powerchairs both were dead. Think about it, you only move your wrist to operate a powerchair. How long til your body just turns to dust? I push the crap out of my day chair on a daily basis, I won't even bore you with how many kilometers are on my rugby chair and handcycle.
    The first time I pushed my chair til my shoulders were sore was the first time I felt like a human being after my injury. Our shoulders maybe weren't designed to propel a wheelchair, but I can tell you for a fact that the human body wasn't made to sit still.

If he is in a Model SCI rehab center, they will do a seating clinic when the therapists have a good assessment of his needs going home. Just because he can roll himself around in a manual chair does not mean that he can be one and mobile all day. Ryan can use one around the house but always uses his power chair out. When I spoke to his therapists about pushing him to use the manual more they cautioned that it would but too much strain on his weak shoulders. Your husband's issue seems to be his grip. If the rehab is recommending the power chair with his needs in mind, listen to them. You can order the power chair and if he is able to downgrade before he goes home, it should not be an issue. They like to order them so they arrive before you go home but it is not unheard of for someone to go home with a loaner until their chair arrives.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

well as you can see, the old debate of power v. manual is a hot topic. I’m c5-6 and i use a power chair 100% of the time. you should really take into consideration the environment you live in. for instance, i live on a hill by the lake, which involves getting off the beaten path. in this case the terrain is such that it would be a near impossible feat to do independently in manual chair once a night, let alone say 3 times a night during a party. i never cease to be amazed by how people limit themselves because they won't use a power chair.

i totally agree with tooley. a pc is a kiss of dependant death,. at his level there is zero reason for a pc.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Blah, don't get me started..... ok. I am a C7 complete but sounds like the same function as your hubby. Injured just under 3 years ago, they had me indoctrinated into the idea that I needed a power chair. I got approved, ordered it, dme received it, I never went to get it. "Recycled" it back into the gov't pool of chairs. What a waste of insurance/gov't money all because my PT/OTs get muscled by the physiatrist in the rehab hospital to put everyone in power no matter what. Blah blah, shoulders, blah blah, save your strength, blah blah. How am I going to get any strength back if I don't push a wheelchair? Lucky for me I had an awesome mentor C6 quad rugby player 20 years post injury that termed a power chair as "the kiss of death". He explained that of his 2 peers he left rehab with that went home and used powerchairs both were dead. Think about it, you only move your wrist to operate a powerchair. How long til your body just turns to dust? I push the crap out of my day chair on a daily basis, I won't even bore you with how many kilometers are on my rugby chair and handcycle.
    The first time I pushed my chair til my shoulders were sore was the first time I felt like a human being after my injury. Our shoulders maybe weren't designed to propel a wheelchair, but I can tell you for a fact that the human body wasn't made to sit still.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have both now but went home with a loaner manual. On one hand, it would be good to get the one worth $$. On the other, a pc at his level seems much like overkill. Many ppl have survived living in a pc.

As a loner, it would suck for me. I use my pc for carrying trash out and hanging laundry, bringing in groceries etc. My rental house is nearly inaccessible due to v. steep ramp.

My pc is a behemoth w/ a mind of its own. I picked it up for $350. My manual came off ebay for $700.

Ideally a person needs the narrowest chair they can push.