Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, do I need a new bathtub?

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Yes, Medicare is a federal program and Medicaid is a state. Health insurance companies typically adhere to Medicare guidelines and won't pay for anything once you cross he threshold into the bathroom. Someone at MC apparently doesn't consider bathing and pooping medically-necessary; go figure. Medicaid will, and does, pay for our commode/shower chairs, depending upon the state. I'd venture to guess that, from our experience, maybe about half the states will pay for all, or some part.

If not, try your states Vocational Rehab Department. Every state has one and the odds of them paying are somewhat better than Medicaid. You can find a list of state offices at: http://www.goesanywhere.com/links_and_resources.php [7th one down]. To be eligible, you need to at least ACT like you want to work.

Community-based non-profit sources are the next step.

If you don't have any luck with any of these, we offer our customers the option of making 3 payments, interest-free, over 3 months. Typically, that amounts to under $500 for each of the 3 payments.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Ok, so it sounds like maybe I should hold off on this for just a second until the medicaid kicks in (fingers crossed..), and I see what they will be willing to pay for .
    I've also considered some type of sliding board and some lotion - over to a plastic shower chair. why not that instead of the expensive sliding ones? Not to knock them b/c they look really convenient, but. . does anyone do it this way, does it work good? He can't do transfers right now - he's just learning how to do it ..But .. His arms are getting stronger every day, and I think that with my help, we could get him over the tub that way. Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    Ok, so it sounds like maybe I should hold off on this for just a second until the medicaid kicks in (fingers crossed..), and I see what they will be willing to pay for .
    I've also considered some type of sliding board and some lotion - over to a plastic shower chair. why not that instead of the expensive sliding ones? Not to knock them b/c they look really convenient, but. . does anyone do it this way, does it work good? He can't do transfers right now - he's just learning how to do it ..But .. His arms are getting stronger every day, and I think that with my help, we could get him over the tub that way. Any thoughts on that?
    Complete safety is your friend and the best path to maximum recovery. It also best for you to preserve your strength and avoid any strains, etc. And whatever is good for you is good for him. I am glad to hear he is getting stronger.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Where is he in rehab? The OT and PT should be addressing this equipment and also working on tub transfer skills with him. Lotion on a slide board is a bad idea...a good way to slide right off the board and fall, and also will get greasy lotion all over him and interfere with you holding on to him to assist.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Virtually impossible for someone without very strong triceps to do this. The person in question has a C6 SCI and is still in rehab...doubt they will be strong enough to do this when they are booted out of rehab after an average 4 week stay!!!

(KLD)
    Thought he was a para from "immobile from torso down" statement...sorry.

Yeah, shortly after the lotion and sliding board idea, I had a vision of a slippery husband crashing to the floor No good, you're right. We have seen nothing of this kind of training , but he's having problems with low blood pressure every time he is up for awhile - its getting in the way of the rehabilitation at this point. Hope it works itself out soon !
    He is in Healthsouth rehabilitation hospital

My husband is still in a rehabilitation hospital, and I'm trying to prepare for him to return home. My main concern right now is the Bathtub. We just have a standard tub/ shower, and I wonder if there will be a way for one person (me) to help him into it , or if I really have to change it to a standing shower type with no tub. He is currently completely immobile from torso down, but his arms are getting stronger every day. I don't even think a shower chair will FIT into our tub?
    Sorry that your husband was injured and now has a spinal cord injury. Is he a fellow Veteran? If so the closest VA SCI Center should be contacted. There are a lot of things that the VA will pay for ex: wheelchairs, cushions, electric beds, low air loss/alternating pressure mattress etc...
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-04-2012 at 03:09 AM.

You can go to youtube and search for "para" or "quad" transferring and get a lot of ideas and examples.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

No, RAFS, he isn't a veteran. I so appreciate the info and concern

Thumbs up

No, RAFS, he isn't a veteran. I so appreciate the info and concern
    Your welcome. Thank you for your nice reply. I was so hoping for a lot of reasons that your husband was a fellow Veteran. If he's able to ever return back to work he should make sure he calls the local State Vocational Rehabilitation Office for an appointment to see if he's eligible for any help and retraing through Voc Rehab.