Thread: Stem cell biology at tipping point.

Stem cell biology at tipping point.

" Stem -cell biology is at a tipping point where all sorts of new science is going to emerge. People are thinking about practical applications...And USC is strongly invested in moving research from bench to bedside. Stem-cell research and the institute will be featured as a major part of the university's $6-billion fund raising campaign during the next six years. I'm bringing most of my lab with me, about 12 people... I'll be hiring about a dozen scientists for new positions at USC...At harvard, I had been part of a course concentration that presented regenerative medicine to students around the the theme of rebuilding bodies" Andrew P. McMahon leaving position as principal member of Harvard Stem Cell Institute to take over stem-cell-research institute at USC. Chronicle of Higher Education May 4, 2012, A24.
    Sorry if this has already been reported here. I don't recall it.
    Finbar

Wow! "Fight ON"!!!!!! USC!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    " Stem -cell biology is at a tipping point where all sorts of new science is going to emerge. People are thinking about practical applications...And USC is strongly invested in moving research from bench to bedside. Stem-cell research and the institute will be featured as a major part of the university's $6-billion fund raising campaign during the next six years. I'm bringing most of my lab with me, about 12 people... I'll be hiring about a dozen scientists for new positions at USC...At harvard, I had been part of a course concentration that presented regenerative medicine to students around the the theme of rebuilding bodies" Andrew P. McMahon leaving position as principal member of Harvard Stem Cell Institute to take over stem-cell-research institute at USC. Chronicle of Higher Education May 4, 2012, A24.
    Sorry if this has already been reported here. I don't recall it.
    Finbar
    Finbar,

Many stem scientists have moved to California because of the CIRM (California Institute of Regenerative Medicine). We all joked that there would be a "sucking sound" from West Coast as NIH funding continues to be flatlined and annual stem cell funding in California adds up to more than NIH is spending on stem cell research around the country.

Harvard Stem Cell Institute is of course a prestigious place to be but at some point prestige is not enough and opportunities to lead and expand will attract the best stem cell talents to the West Coast. Massachusetts has tried to keep pace with state funding of stem cell research but cannot.

New York is also trying hard to come up with funding to keep and attract scientists but budgetary deficits there have limited what could be done. There is no question, however, a lot of industry funding will head towards California as a result of the movement of scientific talent. I already know several scientists who have moved West.

Wise.