Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Erectile dysfunction and stem cell therapy

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,181

    Erectile dysfunction and stem cell therapy

    Those who loss erection due to spinal injury or other neurological problems. Is it possible to get erection through stem cell injections into penile artery via catheter or through intravenous injections?

  2. #2
    A google search for "stem cell boners" suggests that rats with ED have been successfully treated, but that's about it so far. And that's regular old ED, not conus injury ED. I'm sure there's a clinic out there that will sell you oil for your snake, filling your big head full of false promises and your little head full of abortion clinic dumpster drippings, but it looks like we're many years away from the real deal. Until then, cunnilingus. And maybe jogging. You can walk, right? Focus on the two legs you have that work and stop worrying so much about the third that doesn't. Go get a nice runner's high. Maybe you can jog across Pakistan to raise awareness of conus injuries and their deleterious effect on the peener.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    A google search for "stem cell boners" suggests that rats with ED have been successfully treated, but that's about it so far. And that's regular old ED, not conus injury ED. I'm sure there's a clinic out there that will sell you oil for your snake, filling your big head full of false promises and your little head full of abortion clinic dumpster drippings, but it looks like we're many years away from the real deal. Until then, cunnilingus. And maybe jogging. You can walk, right? Focus on the two legs you have that work and stop worrying so much about the third that doesn't. Go get a nice runner's high. Maybe you can jog across Pakistan to raise awareness of conus injuries and their deleterious effect on the peener.
    rjg, you don't know what you are talking about. Stay off this topic. Wise.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Those who loss erection due to spinal injury or other neurological problems. Is it possible to get erection through stem cell injections into penile artery via catheter or through intravenous injections?
    Jawaid, erections normally results from parasympathetic nerve activation, which releases acetylcholine to activate endothelial cells (cells that line the veins and arteries) to release nitric oxide. Nitric oxide diffuses to the smooth muscle of the blood vessels, causing them to relax and fill the arteries of the penis with blood. The penis has three tubular structures called corpus callosum that run the length of the penis. When the blood vessels of the corpora callosum engorge with blood, the penis becomes erect.

    Stem cells injected into the penile artery via catheter or intravenous injections will do nothing for erectile dysfunction resulting from loss of parasympathetic activation. The parasympathetic neurons that are responsible for activating erection are located in the sacral regions of the spinal cord (i.e. the conus). The brain activates these neurons at various times of the day or in the presence of sexual thoughts and stimuli.

    In acute spinal cord injury that does not involve the conus, the sacral parasympathetic neurons may become hyperexcitable due to denervation and this often causes a condition called priapism where the penis remains erect for many hours. In conus injuries, where these parasympathetic neurons may be partly damaged, erectile dysfunction occurs because of the absence of or inadequate parasympathetic neurons.

    Inadequate parasympathetic activation can be partly reversed with drugs such as sildenafil citrate, tadalafil, and vardenafil (otherwise known by their trade names of Viagra, Cialis, Levitra). These drugs block cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5). Normally, PDE5 degrades cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) and PDE5 is specific for blood vessels of the penis, causing smooth muscles of the blood vessels to relax. When sildenafil blocks PDE5, cGMP increases blood flow in the penis, causing an erection. Generally, these drugs need some parasympathic activity to work.

    In the case of profound loss of parasympathetic activity, one way of causing erection is to a drug called alprostadil, which is prostaglandin E1 (PGE1). PGE1 can be taken as a uretheral suppository (the pill is placed in the urethra) called MUSE (Medicated Urethral Suppository for Erection) or injected into the corpus cavernosum of the penis (Caverject or Edex). PGE1 is a strong vasodilatory agent, working directly to relax blood vessels. PGE1 tends to be expensive.

    Other treatments that have been shown to be effective in causing erection include a drug called papaverine. Papaverine is an opium alkaloid anti-spasmodic drug that relaxes blood vessels. Present in the opium poppy, this drug was discovered by Georg Merck (the son of Emanuel Merck, the found of Merck Corporation) in 1848. When injected into the penis, papaverine causes long-lasting erections and was one of the first effective treatments of erectile dysfunction in people with spinal cord injury. Papaverine is also a selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor for PDE10A, which is found mostly in the brain. There are many pharmacologic formulations of papaverine, including a gel that can be applied to the penis.

    One possible treatment for erectile dysfunction due to conus injuries is replacement of parasympathetic neurons. This will require transplantation of neural stem cells into the conus and getting these neurons to regenerate their axons to the penis. A second treatment is to do peripheral nerve bridging from another spinal cord segment. You have already tried that. A third option, which I don't think has been tried to date, is the transplantation of acetylcholine secreting neurons directly into the corpus callosum and then using stimulants to activate these neurons.

    So, there are many approaches to erectile dysfunction. I don't think that injection of stem cells into the penis will be the answer. The above should give you several alternatives that you may want to explore.

    Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    rjg, you don't know what you are talking about. Stay off this topic. Wise.
    Which topic in particular? Boners in general? Rodent boners? Jawaid's peener? Jogging? I covered a lot of ground in that gem of a post and it seems unreasonable to restrict me from ever returning to every one of those topics. And, I assure you, I've got firsthand experience with 3 of the four topics listed above. I'll leave it up to you to decide which three.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    Which topic in particular? Boners in general? Rodent boners? Jawaid's peener? Jogging? I covered a lot of ground in that gem of a post and it seems unreasonable to restrict me from ever returning to every one of those topics. And, I assure you, I've got firsthand experience with 3 of the four topics listed above. I'll leave it up to you to decide which three.
    If you attack another member with your snide comments (yes, you attacked Jawaid and Boyd Melson), I will ban you. Stay off this topic (meaning this thread). Wise.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,181
    Thanks Dear Wise for detailed reply.

    Where can i get this third option done Wise? Will the erection be forever than after transplant of third option?

    Sorry for you dear rjg. I say nothing for you. Wise told u from my side.

  8. #8
    In addition to the treatments for ED that Dr. Young has mentioned above, there is also the option of a vacuum tumescence device (VTD, "penis pump") which will work for many men with CES, and also the more drastic surgical solutions of penile implants.

    MUSE (the urethral suppository he mentioned) rarely works in men with SCI, regardless of level of injury, and the oral ED drugs also are rarely successful in CES.

    Jawaid, you may want to post your questions about ED on the Sexuality & Relationships forum rather than under Cure.

    (KLD)

  9. #9
    Jawaid - as per Dr. Young's post, the third option has never been tried and hence it is at least unpredictable and likely ineffective.

    Stop fishing around for a cure. It doesn't exist, and you jumping on every potential avenue of research as if it were a well studied therapy is getting to be tiring - for you, I imagine. Whether you appreciate rjg's delivery or not, his point is valid: there are other things that you could do at this time that would be more constructive, both for you, personally, and for the community.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

  10. #10
    It is actually too bad stem cells don't cure ED or hair loss. If they did there would be so much money for stem cell research we would all probably be walking.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •