Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 64 versus 32-bit software

Random,

Regarding "How do I know which one I need?" - what do you want to be able to do?

Cool just my 2 cents

These day's 64 is way to go
    Faster , more efficent

32 is alright for slow pokes general users doing searches etc...like my ol pop he uses win 7 home but 64 smokes

Ubantu is great very stable it is a super O/S but this is all my personal feelings and experience with multi operating systems ....
    Win 7 64 is good but getting Win 64 pro or enterprise , ultimate you got all the bells and whistles

How much Ram do you have ?
    How big is your harddrive etc ?

My computers I assemble / build so everyone has different needs usually I load most everything in my eyes the sky is the limit I like having the horsepower I do notice big difference between 32 v's 64 Hands down for me 64 is the way to go ....
    Pro or ultimate are very nice ...

Ask yourself what do you intend to do with your Machine ?

Good luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Random,

Regarding "How do I know which one I need?" - what do you want to be able to do?
    Nothing fancy. I'm just trying to buy an Outlook add-in and didn't know which version to buy. With Dragon running, even with 8gb RAM, my system constantly is "trying to recover from low system resources."

Dragon is an app that MAY benefit from a 64 bit machine, but it probably spends most of its time waiting for your next word.

The "low system resources" messages usually means you've got too many things open on your desktop, you've got a virus or trojan, or you need to adjust your real to virtual memory settings in control panel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    ...or you need to adjust your real to virtual memory settings in control panel.
    That sounds like fabulous advice. Can you elaborate for me, technically elementary as I am.

Control Panel -> System Properties -> Advanved -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory

Set the virtual memory to the maximum recommended.

(This is for Windows Vista (cough, cough). Your specific menu selectons will vary depending on what operating system you're using).

If you are using virtual memory your machine is "swapping" and it will be slow. You need more RAM so you never, ever use virtual memory.

Sorta agree...but...some machines, like most laptops, are a real bitch to add more real memory to, and, some applications, like Dragon, rely on keeping their "dictionary" in virtual so that real ram is free to translate your speach pattern into english.

No hard and fast rules...

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    The 32-bit barrier has long since been broken. You now need 64-bit kernel space. However, with 64-bit user space integers are twice the size, pointers are twice the size and your computer is too slow to run bloated bloated code. The solution is to continue to run 32-bit userland. I am running Debian i386 on amd64. If you can (be bothered or running Gentoo, ArchLinux, etc.) you should compile userland for amd32 (which Intel64 does too).

Note that IBM POWER7 and Sun/Oracle UltraSPARC are 32-bit userland with 64-bit kernels. AMD64 running this way sought of has that real computer feel.

As a rule if you have only 2 GiB and don't need swap then 32-bit kernel is okay. If you need swap or have more memory then you must run 64-bit kernel to use it.
    Last edited by zagam; 12-18-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Memory sizes are non SI and need the 'i'.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    All that left me shaking my head. Life was so much simpler when I just had access to a mainframe. lol
    I have fond memories of taking my decks of FORTRAN cards to the old Cyber Model 72. That was a real 60-bit computer. Later got my own real (16/24-bit) computer and a terminal. (Even had it in office which was not a good idea. Fans and 14" discs not good for hearing. As this was systems programming hack box lots of tape work and re-boots. Later secretly did high level app development work on the faster live system so I did not have run this noisy beast. Had (8/20-bit) PC XT, but it was a toy. I used the terminal. Was not until I found GNU/Linux that PCs were useful. However, did some Lotus 123 and hammered WP 5.1 (DOS) and 5.2 (Unix) for ISO 9001 systems before switching to VI and troff.)

My AMD64 has as quiet case and PSU as I can get without water cooling. Note Debian i386 is 32-bit userland, but amd64 kernel is installed. Microsoft Windows 64-bit is mixed user land and drivers which run in kernel space need to be 64-bit. Our legacy SOE is Microsoft "64-bit" which is an issue for older hardware if drivers can't be found. In that case you run 32-bit. However, in Microsoft 64-bit you run 32-bit mode/versions of apps. This improves stability and allows you to run 32-bit browser plugins, etc.

Code:
    No 64-bit drivers available 32-bit and remove XS RAM.
    Has rotating swap device 64-bit AMD64, Intel64, etc.
    RAM <= 2 GiB is 32-bit SSD netbook ATOM Ns etc.
    RAM >= 3 GiB is 64-bit AMD64, Intel64, etc.