Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle high compression stockings?

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Ankle high compression stockings?

I wear compression 15-20 mm Hg (Jobst or Medi) knee high stockings, and I sleep with them on (because I have no one to remove them at night). In the morning, my feet are still swollen (even with my feet elevated above my heart). If I am able to sleep without the stockings, my feet are completely drained in the morning.

I think the stocking compression in the calves is preventing the feet from draining.

Would it work for me to wear ankle high compression stockings instead of knee-high? That would also make it more possible to wear shorts.

Don't wear the compression stockings while in bed with legs up. You should put them on and wear them while you are up in chair and put them on while in bed and then get up.
    CWO

I was recently told that the major brands of compression stockings (including Jobst and Mediven) start their compression gradient at he ankle, and that the foot has a lower level of compression. The end result is that even with wearing stockings, some people will notice slightly swollen feet, skinny ankles, and fairly skinny calves. So yes, you are thinking correctly. The highest compression at the ankle can lead to the feet being a little bigger.

Ideally, you should take stockings off at night to let your skin breathe a little, but I understand how these things are. I know of tools to help you put stockings on, but not pull them off, so maybe smashms can help us there.

I don't believe there is such a thing as ankle compression socks, and if there were, your calves would get swollen.

My Dad wears compression stockings everyday, and shorts everyday. But you are a young guy trying to look cool and my Dad is long past that (!). Actually, I think Juzo and Sigvaris have a cotton line that includes white colors that look like knee high basketball socks. Not bad looking!

If the foot edema is just mild, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it is concerning, then try going up to the 20-30mmHg stockings. There is also a line of compression stockings at Juzo called "neuropathic" that has higher compression starting in the foot. I suspect they will be harder to put on, and I always worry of having the foot compression too tight since the foot has so many lumps/bumps that could in theory develop pressure sores even from a stocking rubbing to tightly. But maybe I worry too much...

I ordered these ankle compression socks: http://www.compressionstockings.com/...60ab-p-86.html

If they don't work all day (i.e. my calves might swell up), I plan to switch from knee high to these ankle high at 5pm every day because I have help at that time.

Of course, on cold winter days I may keep the knee high on. My legs already get way too cold on cold days!

Thanks for your tips.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use a blanket on my legs in winter. Helps a lot. They make ones for wheelchairs.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    I ordered these ankle compression socks: http://www.compressionstockings.com/...60ab-p-86.html

If they don't work all day (i.e. my calves might swell up), I plan to switch from knee high to these ankle high at 5pm every day because I have help at that time.

Of course, on cold winter days I may keep the knee high on. My legs already get way too cold on cold days!

Thanks for your tips.
    That sounds like a good plan. Maybe try to keep your legs up in the evening as well. Let us know what the socks are like. Watch for pressure sores at the top of the socks/around the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I use a blanket on my legs in winter. Helps a lot. They make ones for wheelchairs.

Got a link? Thanks

Good luck Dave. I hate wearing TED hose with shorts.
    But my skinny legs look just as bad. lol

What's a woman to do?

Yes I like the compression socks ( 5-10 mmHG) better than nothing when up ! Jobst makes them and they are sold, or used to be sold at our VA . Different colors too. But really best is =off when in bed all night, put on compression hose-30-40 best but may only need, 20-30mmHG next best. Puton while not swollen BEFORE getting out of bed! Remove once back in bed and then if you want to remove hose and wear socks or as you said, if you can't remove and caregiver has to (but how do you get back in bed?). They should be all gradient ones... and yes most pressure ankle area.Don't get the ones not gradient either.

I am used to Jobst (or kendall) so probably others don't have experience with .
    Also keep the wrinkles out- you have to measure your calves, length and ankle width- now which measurement to use--- when deflated or inflated? cause don't want to tight. When in bed in morning (some but don't want to loose eitherz) add.5 cm or one cm. if you don't want to tight. You must keep the wrinkles out at ankles!!! And check heals and make sure no heal breakdown or friction.
    After removing- another reason only worn part of the day! and to 24/7.
    CWO

Wearing the ankle socks at night is only a little better than knee high, in terms of residual swelling by morning. I can almost remove them myself at night, but can't get past the heel. So they stay on... at least until I get the tool that will help me remove them.

I get help at 5pm switching from knee high to ankle high. And go to bed at midnight and get up at 5am. Here's what my feet look like in the morning, before getting up. There is less swelling where the compression is, but still plenty of swelling. Once I can remove the stockings at night, the swelling will be much less.

Are there any c5/6 quads here who use a tool to get their stockings off? I'd love to see what works for you!

Yes, I tried exactly that: holding my foot up with one hand and hooking my thumb inside the sock. It's really close. Maybe if the socks get stretched a little with age, I'll get it. But it's pretty hard on my thumbs (after 27 years of abuse already). I might try the reacher. Thx..

And yes, I put myself in bed. I'll see if I have a video..

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    if you have a reacher that has a hook on it you should be able to get them off while in bed my other question is being a c5/6 you should have enough finger movement to get a few fingers inside the top of the sock then use your other hand to get your foot up so you can get your own hose off. and if you don't go to bed till midnight i also have the same question that CWO has how do you get in bed without an aid, if they leave at 5pm there is something your not telling us i think you should be able to get the hose off while in bed.