Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Severed Spinal Cord Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMom View Post
    I am one of those rare one's who's spinal chord was completely severed. The neurosurgen who put me back together, told my friend that he couldnt even see the other end of the chord.
    Was wondering the same thing that Melikeconan asked. There's so many componants to the spinal chord and periferal nerves and such; that its hard for me to follow the explantions given about the chord and puzzling it all together. Some of it makes sense, some doesn't. All things in "due process" and "due time"!
    hi butterflymom =) how long has your injury been? What kind of recovery have you had? Has there been a return of sensation and/or of bowel and bladder control? thank you very much

Hi Clementine, I see your new here. Could you please fill in your information about yourself? It helps us help eachother if we know the basics of where we're coming from. As for myself: I am T-4 complete since 2/17/08; I've had zero recovery, zero sensation, and zero bowel or bladder control.

I am a wife to a t6 complete. He was injured early this year. According to the doctor who opened him up, his spinal cord was completely severed. Other doctors believe otherwise based on my husband's claims. He claims to have regained a little sensation in his tummy area and upper thighs although he says that it is inconsistent. He also says that he feels heavy in his tummy area. He feels as if something is always weighing it down. He also claims to sometimes feel the urge to urinate although he says that he does not know it when he actually does. His nurses just notice that his diaper is wet with urine. He still uses a cathether though. He has involuntary toe and leg movements. One of his doctors actually told him that he would be walking in less than 2 years while another claimed that he would be paralyzed forever unless a miracle happened or a cure was discovered. I really don't know what to make of all of these. I am perplexed. But i want to believe that he would still walk & regain his bowel and bladder control somehow. Anyway, he is not with me anymore as I could no longer take the bad treatment I got from his family. They interfered nonstop in my care and management of him as if I didn't take good care of him. They also blamed me for every sore or fever that he had. I received no emotional support at all. My own health deteriorated because of this additional stress and I almost suffered from a nervous breakdown that I had to surrender him to his family who seemed to "know-it-all".

Clementine, I am sorry for how things are going for you and your husband. As a T-6, I hope he gains his independance and comes back to you. As for his sensations and different feelings; I have weird feelings also that is hard to explain to others. But I consider them involuntary nerve pain/feelings. Feelings like electrical/numbing/burning sensations in my feet, butt, privates, back, stomach, chest. It changes and is not consistant. I remember the heavy feeling right after my accident; but it was more in my whole body, not just stomache. I also have spastic tone through out my body which causes involuntary movement. Everybody's different, so I cant speak for what your husband is experiencing or what his future holds for him. I can only pray that he finds peace goodness in his life, and for you also.

I do apologize to everyone else; we seemed to have high-jacked your thread. Hoping maybe some of the basic information we gave is helpful to someone else. But again, sorry. It does seem that there's not alot of further information for those few who have a completely severed spinal chord. Still trying to figure out some of the differences in functionality and prognosis that this causes.

Quote Originally Posted by clementine View Post
    Just the same, can people with completely transected spinal cords still benefit from stem cell treatment? thank you
    Clementine, there is a doctor (Henreich Cheng in Taiwan... You can search for more information about him in this forum) who specializes in the treatment of severed spinal cords, using peripheral nerve bridges and a cocktail of growth factors. Stem cell therapies alone are not likely to rebuild and reconnect a severed spinal cord, in my opinion. You have to do something to get the two ends of the spinal cord together. However, as I have said, I am skeptical about claims of severed spinal cords. They are very rare. Eisenhower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Eisenhower.
    You don't go by Wise anymore?

Dear Dr. Young,
    I had a severe accident causing me to be a T-10 complete.My spine was displaced from a construction accident. I went to Thomas Jefferson in Philly. My suregeon was Dr. Ratliff. He told my wife the cord was a mess and severed. Is there any tests like an MRI that would show a break in the cord? Or do you have to open the person back up again to see all of the damage. If my cord is seperated, would you recommend having a doctor like Dr. Cheng put me back together. I would just like your opinion so if there is hope with the stem cell sometime in the next few years, I would be a candidate too. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    You don't go by Wise anymore?
    LOL. It is my iPad spelling corrector. It apparently thought that Wise was not an appropriate ending to my post and substituted Eisenhower. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Dear Dr. Young,
    I had a severe accident causing me to be a T-10 complete.My spine was displaced from a construction accident. I went to Thomas Jefferson in Philly. My suregeon was Dr. Ratliff. He told my wife the cord was a mess and severed. Is there any tests like an MRI that would show a break in the cord? Or do you have to open the person back up again to see all of the damage. If my cord is seperated, would you recommend having a doctor like Dr. Cheng put me back together. I would just like your opinion so if there is hope with the stem cell sometime in the next few years, I would be a candidate too. Thank you.
    Joe, a severe injury at T10 that caused extensive destruction of the lumbosacral cord will require more than bridging of the "gap" and growth factors to stimulate regeneration of axons. It will require neuronal replacement. There is no question that stem cells will play an important role in the reconstruction of the spinal cord. We need more reseArch in the area.

Wise.

Joe, a severe injury at T10 that caused extensive destruction of the lumbosacral cord will require more than bridging of the "gap" and growth factors to stimulate regeneration of axons. It will require neuronal replacement.
    Wise, would polymer scaffolds be used in this situation? If not could you elaborate a little more as to what would be required? Maybe this isn't a question for you but isn't this an area that Invivo Therapeutics is working on?
    Thanks,
    Litespeed