Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Definition of a cure

Larwatson, your words really moved me. Boy, what a day that would be. You couldn't have said it any better.

What one man can do another can do

Migu,

thanks so much for the info. I'm looking forward to the summer issue from the ifp and I hope Schwab & Dietz will have their trial started up by then.

Piela, a few months ago I sent an e-mail to Dr. Schwab but without response so far.

Joe

Migu how do you get English on that website?

It would be great if Larwatsons post could be put on audio tape by him and used along with the videos at the Rally for the Cure.

The discussion reminds me of the statement a Supreme Court Justice (can't remember who) said about obscenity (paraphrasing): "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it!" With respect to the cure, I say: "Can't define it, but I know it when I feel it!"

Science, in its explorations, is about removing subjectivity. Wise, what you are proposing is a way to remove subjectivity from the definition of a cure in a way that can be easily communicated and understood. That's certainly part of your worldview as a scientist. Of course, as you point out, the problem is that the subjectivity of the observer then enters the picture.

Larwatson, if there was an easy way to quantify your eloquent writing then we'd have something great. Of course we can define various categories and assign metrics to them in an attempt, but then the poetry qnd humanity is lost.

I then go back to Wise's "Turing Test" for SCI. If the observer also was able to ask the subject about their life and experience, and was unable to discern any difference from someone who was never injured, then we have a real cure .. and we have a way of simply communicating what a cure is.

- Bruce

Hmmmmmmmmm,

How about this?

SCI Cure includes, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:

(1) being able to walk, jog and run proficiently; (2) having complete control of one's bodily functions; (3) the ability to feel every sense in one's body as he/she makes love; (4) interacting socially without fear of attitudinal and physical barriers; and (5) no longer suffering the innumerable small indignities that mount throughout each day and attempt to destroy one's sense of self esteem as a result of having SCI.

What we do in life echoes in eternity. Maximus - Gladiator

larwatson,

Your literary skills are excellent. Ever thought of becoming a lawyer?

larwatson

yeah, nice description

I need it now - I'm really going nuts - I've never been depressed so long

Barth Green says aiming for less tha 5 - is he dreaming? best years of my life have gone anyway

Other scientists don;t believe in a c

i need a normal life again

larwatson

your latest description is right but you and I have carried this injury a long time - how could we recover?