Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrobat Wheel--A Unique Approach for Integrating Suspension Into a Manual Chair

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    CAP'N
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Hey Cap'n!!

Quote Originally Posted by Softwheel View Post
    I will be happy to learn of any question, concern, suggestion, etc.
    Thanks!
    Weight of the wheels please, complet with tubes, tires and pushirms, thanks.

How far is the max suspension travel, too, please?

I've owned 2 mono-shock suspension chairs.

Suspension, for me, is about the thresholds, curb cuts, and *ugh* occasional curb (which, I've yet to master avoiding as well as stephen212. )

I've got so many little bumps to navigate in my rolling world that I really like it.

Nothing more than a slight shrug of the shoulders completely counter acts the momentary CoG change, and with a rebound adjustment there is no bouncing back to neutral, it's a smooth release.

On these SoftWheels, I wonder about the rebound, the most. Would love to hear more info on that, too!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Weight of the wheels please, complet with tubes, tires and pushirms, thanks.
    Current prototype is a bit less than 2.5 Kg for a single complete wheel. It can be lowered to less than 2 Kg but probably will not be able to compete with lightest wheels out there.
    What is the max weight you will still consider?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    How far is the max suspension travel, too, please?

I've owned 2 mono-shock suspension chairs.

Suspension, for me, is about the thresholds, curb cuts, and *ugh* occasional curb (which, I've yet to master avoiding as well as stephen212. )

I've got so many little bumps to navigate in my rolling world that I really like it.

Nothing more than a slight shrug of the shoulders completely counter acts the momentary CoG change, and with a rebound adjustment there is no bouncing back to neutral, it's a smooth release.

On these SoftWheels, I wonder about the rebound, the most. Would love to hear more info on that, too!
    The wheel can handle different curbs but it is especially useful against these occasional *ugh* ones you mentioned
    Max travel is about 1 inch but you should jump from a very high level to reach it. Usually it is much less than that, I would say less than half an inch.
    The wheel has three sets of high end dampers making the bounce slow enough but not too slow so it can meet the next impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Softwheel View Post
    Current prototype is a bit less than 2.5 Kg for a single complete wheel. It can be lowered to less than 2 Kg but probably will not be able to compete with lightest wheels out there.
    What is the max weight you will still consider?
    Anyway i would never consider that wheel, so dosen`t mind the max weight i will still consider.
    I hope good luck to you and your wheels, but sincerely, i just see there a waste of time and money for built that, i hope i`m wrong, but i don`t think so.

What about the alignament of that wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Anyway i would never consider that wheel, so dosen`t mind the max weight i will still consider.
    I hope good luck to you and your wheels, but sincerely, i just see there a waste of time and money for built that, i hope i`m wrong, but i don`t think so.

What about the alignament of that wheels?
    Well, I guess we share similar hopes

I think it should work well with normal angles, but it was not tried yet with slanted sport frames etc.

How do you keep the rims trued?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyOT View Post
    How do you keep the rims trued?
    Good question. Can't get into design details but the specific design keeps the rim circular during ride and also at impacts. The only change is the displacement of the hub when impact happens, where the rider and seat weight are transferred to the wheel. Once the hub is displaced, the suspension mechanism can work and absorb the shock.