Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrobat Wheel--A Unique Approach for Integrating Suspension Into a Manual Chair

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Now that is something new and innovative. Strikes me a bit 1.0 in its current state. They need a thorough thrashing! I wonder about noise, the rebound characteristic, and durability.
    agreed... and if there is any adjustment (on 6 total shocks?) for various user weights.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Silvio - please plead your case for a trial period, argument being that you have a large consumer base here on CareCure eager to see them in action. Would love to see some footage or at least hear some input on how they handle quick descent down flights of stairs.

If only we could convince them to send some to toto in Spain......
    No thanks, i`m not going to put that shit in my wheelchair, i don`t need to try it for know what is it, a stupid wheel designed for someone who is not a sci.

So imagine going down a curb with that, your RSH will go down, so where i will have my pushrims after my first step of the stais, at my neck height? lol

Anyway if i want to sell a good wheel, i would put in my website a video showing how the wheel works and there is nothing,

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    No thanks, i`m not going to put that shit in my wheelchair, i don`t need to try it for know what is it, a stupid wheel designed for someone who is not a sci.

So imagine going down a curb with that, your RSH will go down, so where i will have my pushrims after my first step of the stais, at my neck height? lol

Anyway if i want to sell a good wheel, i would put in my website a video showing how the wheel works and there is nothing,
    Toto makes a great point and astute analysis about the hub height depression. I wonder, however, if the wheel hub would compress as radically as shown in the illustration. Even if the suspension feature worked perfectly (and I question if it's even reached a v1.0 level of readiness), I doubt highly that it would compare to the high-performance wheels already available on the market. From the perspective of a user who's partial to fully welded frame chairs, I'm leery of moving parts in the wheel itself. IMO, stiff wheels are better wheels. This wheel looks like it's just waiting for a catastrophic failure to take place -- a high-risk endeavor.

that was my concern as well. I can see your camber bar smashing into the ground on a cantilever chair, and what about a box frame? Not to mention the front end popping up in response, and then you flipping backwards and smashing your head on that curb you just dropped off of.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

how is this much different to the Marvel or the Icon?
    when you go down steps you don't take your hands off the pushrims and your arms provide a certain amount of resistance to the downward force and there is a limit to how low the seat will drop. There has to be a limit to how low these wheels are going to let you drop.

Still want to see it in action.

Looking at the higher rez photo the stroke length of each shock looks fairly short. The female shock tube by the rim doesnt have very far to travel. Same issue with other suspension, that the seat sinks into the wheels, but not more than a couple inches, at full compression, and much less with typical use. It does make the chair momentarily more tippy, which can catch one unaware if not accustom to it.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Very cool looking. I sent the company an email requesting video.

A few answers

Hi all,

As someone who is connected with SoftWheel, I will try to answer some of the questions and concerns raised. No intention to promote anything, just pure will to provide some information.
    SoftWheel is a young Israeli start-up existing less than 1.5 years and this wheel is their first design. The wheel is still in development stages and not commercialized, and a lot of the information about its mechanism is confidential.
    Still, I can say that the prototype works very well, and it was tested connected to an ultralight wheelchair when jumping curbs of different heights, though I would not recommend anyone who is not trained at jumping curbs to try...
    The design is nice but the main purpose is to work as suspension to substantial impacts. Tests shown it significantly reduced the peak accelerations usually absorbed by the rider at same impacts. And the most clever thing is that it will not work at all when traveling regular paths, so the rider should feel like he is using a regular pair of wheels with no loss of propulsion energy or bounce.
    The displacement of the hub should not be major (like it is shown schematically) and the absorption of the shock only depends on the amount of kinetic energy transferred to heat, so it's a pure design issue.
    Time will tell if it will be noisy over time, the purpose is that it will not need maintenance but will be replaced after a few years.
    Reversing the design will not matter at all.
    I will be happy to learn of any question, concern, suggestion, etc.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Not to mention the front end popping up in response, and then you flipping backwards and smashing your head on that curb you just dropped off of.
    yupper...
    it's a start though...kudos for fresh innovation for those that are bothered by cobblestone-like surfaces
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 07-27-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: cause i can

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    yupper...
    it's a start though...kudos for fresh innovation for those that are bothered by cobblestone-like surfaces
    Good to hear from you Cap'n!