Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I sell a power chair ?

Used power chairs don't bring much on ebay or craigslist. I recently bought 2 Quantum 600s, both with full rehab seating (tilt, recline, power leg rests). Paid $1000 for that turned out to have 1/10 (as in .1) mile and $550 for one with 2.5 miles.

Biggest mistake I see is that most don't document the seat width and depth in their ad. If you are looking for something like this it matters. If possible, offering to break it down for conventional shipping might open up a bigger market. I'm going to try that with one of the Q600s. The seats are easily separated from the base (4 pins and one main bus cable). No point in shipping used batteries so that's about 70 lb saved. Hoping to get it in 3 boxes under 75 lb each. Why buy and sell? I just wanted to swap leg rest styles on my wife's chair. The seat on the first one was too narrow for her (16"). The second one was just ridiculous cheap, and exactly the right size, so I decided to get a spare.

I'm curious about your permobil stander Uncle. What are the seat dimensions and height of person it was set up for? We have a manual stander but she never uses it anymore because she can't transfer. Maybe we could get enough for our extra Q600s and the Lifestand to get close to your power stander.

Something else you may want to think about since you will not get much for it is to donate it.

When Ryan outgrew is nice, custom power chair and had to get another, CIGNA bitched about it because the last one was less than two years old (injured at 17, what can you do?) but they paid for a new one. We tried everything to sell the original and ended us donating it to a local non-profit.

The hard part is determining the value to do the tax deduction.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I dob't care what profit I make off the chair, as long as Cigna doesn't charge me with insurance fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I dob't care what profit I make off the chair, as long as Cigna doesn't charge me with insurance fraud.
    Then posting about it publicly is probably not the wisest thing to do (especially if that's your real name and pic ).

Seriously though, if you really needed a power chair and it was medically justified and paid for by your insurance, how will you get another chair covered given the current chair only being 2 yrs old?

I think it's OK to post because no sale is planned yet. It's all speculation. I'm on Medicare now, does that give me a clean slate regarding DME purchases, or will medical vendors still probe into my past transactions?

I think you should be fine. I've only read about people having issues getting a new insurance to pay for parts or repairs to an old hair, not refusing to buy a chair because of previous insurance buying one. and you said you cannot use it anymore. So even if you were with the same insurance you would have reason to request a new chair.

I'm rather new here and have seen much worse posts. like people who got a custom chair from insurance and only used it a handful of times, and want to get near what insurance paid for it from selling it!!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I see crazy buy now prices on ebay. People think their custom chairs worth so much or as close to what their insurance paid because their chairs are custom. They forgot that their chairs are only custom to their needs and measurements.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

I've seen that as well! Ridiculous. They are forgetting the expensive custom chair is no longer custom for anyone else and worth LESS as a result.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I think it's OK to post because no sale is planned yet. It's all speculation. I'm on Medicare now, does that give me a clean slate regarding DME purchases, or will medical vendors still probe into my past transactions?
    This has been my experience, Medicare only seems to look at purchases made through Medicare, you may be able to get new pwr chair if Permobile was not purchased via Medicare. If there is a trustworthy DME you know try getting their opinion on this.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Medicare will not purchase a good powerchair. They only consider inside use and I am afraid you would end up with some piece of crap Pride Mobility product. Maybe wait and see if you can trade for something equivalent from a company like that abledealer.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt