Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cath in men's room techniques

Cath in men's room techniques

I have two questions about cathing in men's rooms.

(1) Is it safe to do standard IC without closed system? (I have had trouble using closed systems.) My concern is there is so much bacteria in the air that it is not safe, and I have heard anecdotally some mention it is an issue. After all, if there is odor in the air, doesn't it stand to reason there is also a lot of bacteria as well?

(2) I am a bit unclear on the mechanics of doing this in a wheelchair (I cannot transfer there) because I am not sure where to put all the supplies. Should I get a clip-on tray to my armrest just for cathing or something? I usually do this in bed and it takes quite a bit of space, with the drapes, wipes, etc.

Do you have enough finger dexterity to straight cath into a bottle then poor the bottle into the toilet?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    Do you have enough finger dexterity to straight cath into a bottle then poor the bottle into the toilet?
    Yes, but I would still have the concerns I raised in the original post if I did this
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 07-26-2012 at 04:36 AM.

easy cathing with a piece of tubing

I use a piece of rubber tubing i think it's 1/4 inch and a barbed plastic fitting that is designed for splicing two pieces of 1/4" tubing. The barb fits securely into almost every brand of st. cath and the extra tube is about a foot long and this allows me to 'spread the distance'. It does take a bit of getting used to and aim. I suggest that if you had poor aim before your injury that you should really be patient with this method.
    I just carry a little 'kit' with me with a couple caths, the tubing with one barbed end, a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer and a tube of surgical lube. I have if all in a little bag that clips onto the back of the chair or even hanging under the cushion. No one has ever even asked me "what's the black leather pouch about?"
    As far as the airborn bacteria I wouldn't be to concerned. I AM NOT A DR SO THINK FOR YOURSELF. But I personally have never had a problem. Although, be smart. I have left a few restrooms in my time without even entering once I took a look inside.
    One of the little 'secrets' about this injury is no one can get mad at you if you need to just cath into a bottle at the park behind some bushes or in your parked car.
    Just try a couple different ideas out at home where you can control the environment and don't be afraid to be creative and experiment with some new techniques. Have a sense of humor about it and I am sure you will work it out.

Hello XsfXsf,

When I cath away from home, like where I volunteer, I use a hydrophillic catheter. It has the water pack inside I just break open. I also use a one quart zip-lock bag. I just empty into the bag, pour it into the commode and put my used catheter into the zip-lock bag along with used supplies and toss them into the garbage. When I forget to restock my zip-lock bags, I just use my spare 3/8" hose like T-tension uses.

I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

All air has organisms in it and we all use bathrooms. Wash everything extra well in new places. Use extension tubing, which is reusable and washable to drain in to commode. 18 inches should do it.
    CWO

First thing I do in a public restroom is clean the toilet. Then wash hands, then unpack my kit. I have a bag I can tie to the handicap bar. It is tricky to balance everything. Be careful of places that lights are on a timer, really hard to cath. in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by T-tension View Post
    I use a piece of rubber tubing i think it's 1/4 inch and a barbed plastic fitting that is designed for splicing two pieces of 1/4" tubing.

Yes. You can buy these in 18" lengths or as 10' and you can cut them as long as you want them. If you do that, you'll need connectors as well.

I should also say that you can probably go to Home Depot or your local hardware store and pick up something that will do just as well.

No need to worry about the air.

Also, if you can deal with cathing in the open and into a urinal you'll have much more freedom. I cath into a urinal all the time. If people decide to watch me stick a tube into my penis they're the weird ones.

I am very liberal with my cathing techniques because uti's are seldom, so washing up isn't a big deal. I use straight caths and I just handle them the least amount possible. With that said my caths come in a straight package the length of the cath. I open the end where the tip is open then I open the other end. I then with the cath still in the package feed the cath in just touching the wrapper. I put the other end of the package in or over the toilet. Make sure once you thread the cath in as far as you need it to go that the pee end is still in the package. So once you start going the pee leaves the cath and flows into the package and follows it down into the toilet. So doing it this way you dont come in contact with the cath and get double the length basically. Only negative is that opening the end of the package that you normally wouldn't can be very hard. The lip you have to grab to peel it open is virtually nonexistent. So with low finger dexterity not sure if it can be done. But I believe you could start the opening without actually opening the package but then you would have more of a lip to grab. So maybe you take the caths to somebody and have them start the opening and then take those with you when you go out.
    It's still easier to pee into a cup, but something isn't always available and you can have these to fall back on.
    Your perspective is your reality,but that dosen't make it real.

For my mother (who is cathed in ladies rooms, not men's rooms!!) we just attach a leg bag (without straps) to the end of the catheter and cath into that. The technique is CLEAN, not sterile.

We use exam gloves, and carry hand sanitizer to use before and after cathing. This is also what I teach for my clients, although most do not use the exam gloves (which is fine).

We teach applying the lubricant to the catheter via one of 3 ways: 1. Put a glob on a new clean paper towel and lay that on your lap or thigh to run the catheter through, or 2. squirt the lubricant on the top of your thigh, or 3. squirt the lubricant onto the palm of your non-dominant hand.

Air-borne bacteria are rarely if ever urinary pathogens. Protecting supplies from air exposure is mostly needed to keep dust from settling on supplies in the home (as well as cat hair and other things you have in your home). Cleaning your hands with hand sanitizer or a good quality soap and water scrub is sufficient for doing clean self-catheterization or even catheterization by a caregiver.

Obviously you want to avoid putting catheters on surfaces (shelves, toilet seats, the floor, etc.) in public restrooms as they are notoriously foul with bad bacteria. Other than that, you should be just fine. Most important is doing the cath on time before you are too full, and before you have gone too long (4-6 hours) between catheterizations.

(KLD)