Thread: Swap-Travelling

Swap-Travelling

I have seen some a sticky thread (nice one, btw) for accessible lodging and good spot to travel. But i know some people would like to trade home to save even more on lodging right?of course this will come with trust issue, but if all go well, i cant see why not.

Here's the thing. I'd like to travel worldwide and lodging is one of the costly expend in the list. but to travel for a week may not be enough. i'd like to stay and explore, and be a part of a world i dont ever know.

I have a nice home, accessible for wheelchair user. complete with ramp. a car for travelling (modded to fit paraplegic use. quad might need help. able body can drive. gps available). nice bathroom with shower and commode. im located state of Johore, Malaysia and would be good for some who also looking to travel in Singapore. I also have a room in Penang Island, which is only a room. It's fairly close to south of Thailand. and i would really want to swap-travel to anyone located anywhere with proper/even trade (i only need the lodging. addition of car is welcomed if your house is really far from town/attraction).

of course, its all about timing. it isnt simply just a shakehand we trade anytime. im also working and need to find the time. but wouldnt it be nice to have the database of the sort? or maybe someone interested, just pm me. maybe not now. maybe another 6 month. maybe a year, or 2 years later. but i'm sure i like the idea.

moderators : please grant this wish.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

I am totally game for this idea..and have wanted to do it before. I have my home on a swap site..and will send you the details in PM. You need to join a site so it is all legit and all details can be made into a agreement via the site.
    BTW, I live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    I have seen some a sticky thread (nice one, btw) for accessible lodging and good spot to travel. But i know some people would like to trade home to save even more on lodging right?of course this will come with trust issue, but if all go well, i cant see why not.

Here's the thing. I'd like to travel worldwide and lodging is one of the costly expend in the list. but to travel for a week may not be enough. i'd like to stay and explore, and be a part of a world i dont ever know.

I have a nice home, accessible for wheelchair user. complete with ramp. a car for travelling (modded to fit paraplegic use. quad might need help. able body can drive. gps available). nice bathroom with shower and commode. im located state of Johore, Malaysia and would be good for some who also looking to travel in Singapore. I also have a room in Penang Island, which is only a room. It's fairly close to south of Thailand. and i would really want to swap-travel to anyone located anywhere with proper/even trade (i only need the lodging. addition of car is welcomed if your house is really far from town/attraction).

of course, its all about timing. it isnt simply just a shakehand we trade anytime. im also working and need to find the time. but wouldnt it be nice to have the database of the sort? or maybe someone interested, just pm me. maybe not now. maybe another 6 month. maybe a year, or 2 years later. but i'm sure i like the idea.

moderators : please grant this wish.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

so they do have a site? :O
    can u give me the link of a decent link please?

truth is we probably can swap at every site. it's just for us whom are wheelchair bounded, some specifications may be needed specifically to us. it sucks to swap with someone which the house is full of flight of stairs. it's okay if it's double storey, just make the ground level accessible is good enough. and it sucks to know when there's car, we cant drive it. we may travel with someone. maybe alone. to know that the house has what needed to have is somewhat a relief. even hotels cant provide the facility like a disabled house.

a doable house and a car - what more can we ask for.
    Last edited by nia adha; 07-25-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

There is no disabled site per se that actually works..as I have tried and most are old listings and no one responds..lol try homeforexchange.com http://www.homeforexchange.com/advance_search.php

you can search for where you want to go and specify accessiblity.

But that doesnt mean it is ACTUALLY a home like we have, lol..so you will have to rent bath chair, maybe raised toilet seat and even a ramp if need be...car ...no..you will get a car with swap, but not an accessible one..unless you bring portable hand controls.

so they do have a site? :O
    can u give me the link of a decent link please?

truth is we probably can swap at every site. it's just for us whom are wheelchair bounded, some specifications may be needed specifically to us. it sucks to swap with someone which the house is full of flight of stairs. it's okay if it's double storey, just make the ground level accessible is good enough. and it sucks to know when there's car, we cant drive it. we may travel with someone. maybe alone. to know that the house has what needed to have is somewhat a relief. even hotels cant provide the facility like a disabled house.

a doable house and a car - what more can we ask for.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 07-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I have a question.....how do you know that you can trust the person your swaping with and also how does car insurance work if they are in an accident in your vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    I have a question.....how do you know that you can trust the person your swaping with and also how does car insurance work if they are in an accident in your vehicle?
    You don't know but remember they are opening their home to you as well. And the majority of people are good. Just lock up jewelry guns and things you can't replace. You exchange ids and passport copies and have a written agreement. Car insurance you need to call bit usually will cover a driver who is a guest driver

I dont know about certain countries policy of car insurance but in mine insurance cover the car, not the driver, regardless who the driver is. just avoid summons please...:P

the only "luxury" item in my house is probably my tv, home theatre and xbox. please dont steal those. those are my life...

security measure needs to be taken, of course. mutual understanding is crucial. if someone cannot get the gist of being civil and moral-bounded, someone should not bother participate. of course when you deal the swap, you should make your home ready for it ; including storing your precious belonging somewhere safe.

sherocksherolls : do u have a car? where in florida are u?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

I dont know about certain countries policy of car insurance but in mine insurance cover the car, not the driver, regardless who the driver is. just avoid summons please...:P

the only "luxury" item in my house is probably my tv, home theatre and xbox. please dont steal those. those are my life...

security measure needs to be taken, of course. mutual understanding is crucial. if someone cannot get the gist of being civil and moral-bounded, someone should not bother participate. of course when you deal the swap, you should make your home ready for it ; including storing your precious belonging somewhere safe.

sherocksherolls : do u have a car? where in florida are u?
    Hi..I am in South Florida...pm me if interested..as i don;t want to be too public here..and I have a van. with lift I would be interested in 2013 swap prefer summer and around 1.5 months But all is negoitable.

nia adha,

Great idea, I may be interested in a house swap at sometime in the future. So if you have interest in southern california keep me in mind.

I would also be very interested in house swaps with others here in the states, how about Bruce of Maui would you be interested in spending some time in beautiful sunny california.
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.