Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber backrest release bar on my Tilite TR

Carbon fiber backrest release bar on my Tilite TR

Hi!

I decided I wanted a carbon fiber backrest release bar on my TR, but didn't want to spend $80 to order one. So I made my own.

I got a carbon fiber tube from eBay ($17), and some 1/4" coupling nuts from Lowes ($3).

I cut the tube to the correct length, epoxy puttied the coupling nuts in, then screwed it on my chair.

The nuts were a teeny bit too fat for the tube's ID (It's 12mm OD and 10mm ID, which is only about half a mm wider in diameter than the original alunumum tube) so I used the dremel to shave the nut corners down a little bit, then hammered them in with some epoxy putty (which was probably unnecessary, they fit tight)

Mostly I just like the look of carbon fiber and like little touches on a chair, but I did save 31 grams. The original AL tube was 76.0 grams and the Carbon fiber tube+coupler nuts is 35.0.

I am able to pick the chair up with the carbon fiber backrest bar, though if anybody else ever does that to my chair, I will probably bite them.

I can't find the wire for my camera to show the step-by-step, so for now you'll have to settle for this cell-phone pic with kitty. Under the chair is her favorite place.

P.S. Those hub locks you see my friend and I built in his machine shop over the weekend. They are currently functional but incomplete (because the white nylon inner hub lock discs will be replaced with carbon fiber ones, among other things) but I'll post pics of those too when I am done because I know the rules of this forum (Rule CC1: pics or it didn't happen.)
    Last edited by ChrissyOT; 07-24-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Forgot the decimal point in the grams!

Chrissy that's cool as, my invacare a4 has a crappy piece of braided string stuff as its seat back release, could I do this mod?.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

compliments..that's a piece of work!

Although it should be feasible, I generally avoid to put pressure on the CF quick release bar on my ZR2.way too early for spare replacement hassles..

..like the D'Locks too, do you know how much net weight (conventional brakes subtracted) do you add once installed?
    ''Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via''

VERY nice
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Xlnt work!
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Well now there IS an Engineer in The House!

But subsequent pics MUST include more Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Chrissy that's cool as, my invacare a4 has a crappy piece of braided string stuff as its seat back release, could I do this mod?.
    I know what you mean about the crappy string - I used to have a Quickie Ti and I envied all of the Tilite users with their fancy-pants bars.

You could easily do this mod if you your backrest release mechanism has two holes across from each other from which a bar could be attached.

Quote Originally Posted by ReArkou View Post
    ..like the D'Locks too, do you know how much net weight (conventional brakes subtracted) do you add once installed?
    I don't, and I had composite scissor locks on before which are fairly light anyway, but once I get them all finished I will tell you (and post pics!)

great work , save a lot of money.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

My titnanium release bar saved my bacon yesterday. I just lifted the frame out of my car and was holding it up by the release bar. As I reached down for one of my wheels, my hip gave out then went into a flexor withdrawl spasm. I went straight down. My front frame hit the concrete and the release bar took most of my weight. Fortunately, neither myself nor the frame had a single scratch. The TiShaft release bar bent ever so slightly but still functioned normally. I'm not sure carbon fiber would have held up as well.

Excellent craftsmanship BTW.