Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you sit in your chair or transfer to a seat at the movie theater?

Do you sit in your chair or transfer to a seat at the movie theater?

Just curious what's more common. I sit in my chair but it feels a little awkward because my chair is higher than the theater seats. What do you guys do?

Wheelchair seating in my local theaters is usually stadium style seating, which generally puts me in a row really close to the screen. That gives me vertigo and a very sore neck. There are some stadium style seating arrangements that have areas and seats for a companion or two in the rear of the theater. That is my preferred seating and I like to stay in my chair. That way, I have the protection of my cushion and support of the features of my chair. The problem is, it is very hard to know what movie is playing in a seating arrangement that I prefer.

I've never paid any attention, but do theaters have seats where the arm rest moves out of the way to make a transfer into a regular seat easy? If you do transfer into a theater seat, what do you do with your chair? I wouldn't think you would want it taken very far away from you.

All the best,
    GJ

Ive been in theatres where the arm rests flip up.

The only theatre I go to has the space in the back row for wheelchairs. Its small rooms, so you aren't too far away. Its an older theatre and cheap. Then I stay in my chair. My chair with the custom support is MUCH more comfortable and I'm finally able to watch an entire movie without moving around from pain constantly. The downside is not being able to get as close to your date, lean together or whatnot.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

sometimes i transfer then put my feet up on my chair on the cushion. my friends then call me a jerk when i smile over at them :P
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Hahaha nice. My roommate has turned to me before and given me a dirty look and said he was jealous when I recline the back of my wheelchair.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I transfer into a seat almost always, I want to sit close to my wife. Same when we go out to eat, if the both has padded seats I transfer...

Transfer, use w/chair to elevate feet.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I transfer into a seat almost always, I want to sit close to my wife. Same when we go out to eat, if the both has padded seats I transfer...
    Awww. That's sweet.

I always transfer. On the bus, in a movie theater, on a park bench, in a restaurant... everywhere.

Always transfer. More comfortable than sitting in my chair not moving for 2 hours. Theater seats have a higher back for more support, plus theres a cup holder... lol
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA