Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matterhorn. Amazing!

I have Matterhorn in my cart. A few weeks ago I finished Unbroken (check out the Amazon customer reviews). In a couple of days I will have finished Ghost in the Wires, which has been a really fun read. Yes, I am looking for a biography that will knock the ball right out of the park!
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Well I just finished it, and found it hard to put down. At the same time, it was hard to read - a few times what the men were struggling through made me hesitant to go to the next page. Some excellent insights into the battalion-level politics of the Corps.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Well I just finished it, and found it hard to put down. At the same time, it was hard to read - a few times what the men were struggling through made me hesitant to go to the next page. Some excellent insights into the battalion-level politics of the Corps.

Agreed! I neglected to post here after I finished it, but it was both difficult to read and a gripping read at the same time.

I am about two thirds of the way from finishing this book. This novel reminds me of Hamburger Hill, or Hill 937.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I know just what you mean about can't put it down and scared to turn the page. That book redefines "gripping". I woke up thinking about Vancouver, the point man.

Mine is on its way!

Not many books I read are page turners but I am reading Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith and it's a page turner. They last few books I recently read are Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Refreshed for the moving coming out this Christmas in the USA.), Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden, and Cry of the Halidon by Robert Ludlum.

I read this string and it sounds interesting and I ordered it. It should be coming soon!

Ti

Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

almost done with it.

Well, I got my copy and started to read it. I'll finish it up tonight. I have 26 more pages to read. I'd agree it's very vivid with shots in the heads. Back of heads being blown off. Shrapnel slicing through the neck. "Gooks" being just young boys shooting at anything. No food, water, ammo for more than a week and out of food rations.

A very inside view of what was going on in Vietnam during the war. The novel is almost real.

Next, my first book by Stephen King, The Stand.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Never read a book by Stephen King before??? He has so many good ones!

'It' scared the heck out of me ... clowns and balloons to this day make me think of that book.

The Stand was good. Supposed to be a movie in development.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Matterhorn was indeed a good read. So many of the parts made one cringe.

Yes, I've read it. Karl Marlantes is an astute observer and speaker on many of the issues a country and its military must deal with when it goes to war. The Long Gray Line by Rick Atkinson is another cultural classic on the early Vietnam generation, in this case, the West Point class of 1966.