Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first drive-from-wheelchair EV, enters production

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sure would not want to go head-on with a truck, SUV or a bus in this! Wonder what crash testing has been done???

(KLD)

I just read about this yesterday. If it makes any difference, the vehicle is designed to be used only in the "neighborhood." Top speed is 25. Maybe it is more like a motor cycle in terms of safety, but I could still see some uses.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    I just read about this yesterday. If it makes any difference, the vehicle is designed to be used only in the "neighborhood." Top speed is 25. Maybe it is more like a motor cycle in terms of safety, but I could still see some uses.
    And one is more likely to be in a serious auto accident within 2 miles of your home...and more likely to have a head-on on surface streets than on the freeway....

(KLD)

And one is more likely to be in a serious auto accident within 2 miles of your home...and more likely to have a head-on on surface streets than on the freeway....

(KLD)
    yup, best to encourage people to not go out b/c transportation is too much of an issue.

how many people have been hit while riding handcycles?

It seems obvious that this vehicle won't be right for many. But it may be right for some. Personally, I'm delighted to have another transportation option for wheelchair users enter the market. I hope the product proves successful and continues to improve. I hope the entrepreneurs taking this leap of faith become fabulously wealthy.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I'm thinking you take the business end of a pocket motorcycle, attach it to the back of your powerchair with a tip up/down actuator, add a brake override, electric starter, and viola, street legal speed available with decent range. Steer by turning the pocket motorcycle side to side.

Sure would not want to go head-on with a truck, SUV or a bus in this! Wonder what crash testing has been done???

(KLD)
    You can't stop a big truck from suddenly crossing the centerline, but I know I am more attentive and drive more defensively now that I am a handicap driver. I wonder if accident rates are actually lower for handicap drivers than the general population.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Community Cars, an EV for wheelchairs

I would buy one of these, even though I have a wheelchair Van. I can't drive and would love to have a low-speed vehicle that I could use for errands without relying on a driver and suspect there are many like me. First ones are supposed to be out at the end of this year utilizing a motorcycle handlebar control, a joystick hopefully later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/au...pagewanted=all