Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paris Travel Advise needed..

Do not put a backpack on your chair. It will be quite empty by the time yu leave the terminal. Pickpockets abound on land and on the navettes (shuttle buses which are not terrible accessible, or weren't). http://paris-cdg.worldairportguides....assistance.php go to this website, but there is no info on travel between the airport and central paris. It is wise to get this info before leaving home. I would take a taxi if I were you even though it will cost a bunch and even if you can find an accessible taxi.

You may need to have some muscle on your trip with you that can get your chair up two or three steps at a time. Most sites are only partially accessible otherwise. The freewheel would save all of you a lot of tiring and grumpy by the end of the day pushing, pulling and hopping.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

One small piece of advice: Pushing (or being pushed) over cobble stoned streets is grueling; being pulled is much easier and less body-wracking.

Go to a bookstore and buy a copy of Rick Steves 'Easy Access Europe'. I only have my older copy, but they are written by people who live and work there. He has features such as "Roll or stroll" tours and there is some advice about getting around. The book also tells you where there is accessibility issues as well as how many steps and things like that. It also gives invaluable info about hours of service for both transportation as well as places you will want to visit.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I'd take an umbrella, maybe. I had to swing a crutch at a bunch of gypsy kid pickpockets (post-Ceaucescu Romanian) in Florence, and yell Basta. Americans at our hotel were pickpocketed at the Spanish Steps in Rome, he had wallet and 2K in his back pocket. He chased the family and the police caught the lady! Romanian Gypsies they were.

Money belt under trousers of course, even as AB.

I'm jealous, I need some adventure!

Rick Steves Europe Through The Back Door took me on many $700 weeklong backpack Europe trips. His advice is golden. He had Easy Access on the net back in 2000, when I was injured. He has a perfect guide to the Louvre as well. It can get kind of dry.
    Last edited by betheny; 07-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.

wow skippy! holy .... I had no idea about the backpack! I just invested 78 dollars into a new one just for the trip! That I can carry my camera in a special compartment! ( OK..So I will just use that for the travel on plane..as it holds my laptop too..then I will carry camera around neck for outings..and a under chair shelf. Wonder if I can get a lock fo rmy backpack..geez..had no idea.

Oh and the Freewheel..of course..yes, I am the freewheel queen! ) Would NEVER travel anywhere without it..I experienced such pain in Savannah GA ..that I had to go to Doc for xrays in my legs as I thought I had hairline fractures for sure! Never again..I do froglegs and want to get the ICON in future for the suspension..but a freewheel is a must. Stephen..you did Paris with no freewheel?? yikes (

Will get book! thanks so much Skippy!

Bethany..time for a trip girl! Where would you like to go next?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I used to use a photographer's vest for camera etc. But that is what the pickpocket kids were after when I fought them off.

I yearn for Europe. My friend wants to go diving. I am planning a trip to Oakland CA to see the Raiders play! (That's bucket list.)

Yellowstone in winter-bucket list.

Norway-Pre-bucket LOL.

Barrier Reef: When I win the lottery or am diagnosed terminally. The Great Whites are hungry. One will be part of the food chain eventually, right? They have ACCESSIBLE DIVE BOATS!!! (I've never seen one.)

Next week-Effing Oklahoma. It's an adventure but not the bueno type.
    Last edited by betheny; 07-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I used to use a photographer's vest for camera etc. But that is what the pickpocket kids were after when I fought them off.

I yearn for Europe. My friend wants to go diving. I am planning a trip to Oakland CA to see the Raiders play! (That's bucket list.)

Yellowstone in winter-bucket list.

Norway-Pre-bucket LOL.
    Oh no..please tell me you were NOT in Paris when kids tried to steal from your vest while you were in a wheelchair..sheesh..In Melbourne I was always approached by "mentally ill" people...no matter what even while eating in a outdoor cafe..they LOVED me! I finally learned you can't look at people in eye ..in streets..who knew! I am a Southern girl by tradition.

Go to Europe B..and dive...where exactly do you want to dive?

I have yet to make it to CA..My daughter actually lives in Oakland now for college lol.

Bente siad Norway wasn't that accessible? Not many out in streets in wc. hmmm
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Yeah, but Bente can drive now. And she owes me! We went everywhere from OK to Santa Fe. I'll make her take me touring. Also she can speak!

We used to dive Cozumel a lot. I can dive there, as there are currents. Now one can rent underwater scooters, I think. I have the best dive buddy in the world, we both re-trained post-sci. She's AB.

We should go show the Raiders Fans wassup. They are the meanest fans in the NFL, hence my 30 yr. desire to go to a game there. It is a journey to insanity, seriously.

I wanted to wear a Chiefs jersey, as a young thing. I'm wiser now. I'll be camouflaged as a Raider Wheeller.

Gypsy kids were Italy, 95 or so. Now even Dublin has E. European criminals, Norway has Somalians etc. Or so I hear.

Of course you hardly go to Mexico these days it's so dangerous. It's just the world. Go big or go home, right? I'm not going to stop going to movies either...I look in the eye too, NYC is a trip for a Southerner. Haven't been to Europe post-sci. Had obiigations, but suddenly I don't. Also was injured 8-2000 and things got dicey on 9-11-01.

You were accosted in Melbourne? Dogger surely wasn't. I bet it's a gender thing. Pretty American female wheeler vs. bonafide outback badass wheeler.
    Last edited by betheny; 07-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Enjoy!

Ask if you can be upgraded to first class? It never hurts to ask?

If you have a small frame width 'chair ask for it to be stowed in the cabin's storage cabinet.

Don't worry about accidents. Enjoy the flight!

Flying is always an adventure and always exciting!

Deal with problem as they come. Don't worry. Enjoy your time there!

Take a lot of pictures!

Enjoy yourself!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Close to 50 flights post-sci, (all domestic or to Yucatan Mexico) 13" W chair, not one time has it gone in the cabin. Bummer. I do get bulkhead most times, 1st class once post-sci.