Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Chair Order Time Frame

LOL, I know Tex! I got yelled at by the Greek lady at a smaller DME. She screamed out, I couldn't have a second walker - no ins would pay for that! I left, (cracking up, too), went down the street, they placed the call, and I left with a walker!

We are blessed in the insurance dept, (knocking on wood as I type this). The company my husband works for is self insured. Aetna, with its bad reputation, manages the money. It works completely different from standard ins. However, you're correct, a somewhat custom chair will take longer than my, same day delivery, $100.00, crap, manual chair. I work with National Seating & Mobility here. There's just 3 guys running the show and they're always in the weeds. I asked about the nes tilite, 3lbs lighter, and he instantly said it would cost me $1000. out of pocket. I didn't double check him.

Chaiale, I'm going to inquire if I can order through a co. like Sportaid using ins. I have my measurements and can learn everything, chair related, here at CC. I've seen the threads with members ordering and receiving their shiny new chairs pronto! Yes, any wait, is too long when you're stir crazy!

Thanks you guys!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

you can order through online companies if they work with your insurance. But it's not going to shorten the amount of time, especially if the hold up is your insurance and not the compiling of medical necessity. If your current dme is already submitting for approval (you said that's where they were in the process) the paperwork is already done. Starting over at this point would further delay things. If someone has a bad dme that takes to long putting the paperwork together, then switching or using a different one for the next chair would help.

even though you know your measurements, I would go through a dme rather than online when insurance is paying. My reasoning for this is if the dme doesn't know what they are doing with measurements and chair selection you still do and can demand to get what you want or leave with nothing lost. But if they DO know what they're doing and you don't use them you lost the chance for help. It also would be helpful to have a local dme for support during repairs or problems down the line. For a self pay chair, by all means go online so you aren't spending more on the dme than you do on the chair.

some may disagree, this is just my opinion.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Great point, Lin! I wasn't thinking of ordering this chair online but future chairs. After you pointed out the disadvantages, I'll stick with my sweet DME folks in the future.

Thanks; I appreciate your opinion!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    I'm wondering how long it takes others to get a new chair from their Mobility Dealer?

I'm getting a Tilite - fitted on June 5th. The dealer is still processing the pieces/parts of the chair, (individually), through our insurance. It's been 6 weeks and as of yesterday, not a hint of when it will be ordered, or delivered. In took around 4 months to get my power chair.

Is this the norm?

Thanks... T
    your insurance will provide light weight manual and power chair? donnie

Hey Donnie! Yes, they covered the power chair and a cheap manual chair that I needed fast. Since my home has 3 levels, no elevators, I'm allowed a chair for each level.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin' man View Post
    your insurance will provide light weight manual and power chair? donnie

— Marianne Williamson

what kind of chair do you have now?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

i'm ordering a tilite aero z series 2 through medicare/medicaid my DME said 3 months is a good time frame. waiting sucks

Lin, I have a Quantum Edge 6, power chair, roho seat, and waiting on a roho back. The crappy manual is Medaid, I think. It cost my ins around $150.00. If you go too fast, the front tires wobble like crazy.. lol!

Larry, what color did you get? YES, waiting sucks!

— Marianne Williamson